? about hod moving kids towards independence

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
annegirl1919

? about hod moving kids towards independence

Post by annegirl1919 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:11 am

as kids get older, i agree that they should be able to work more independently than they did as younger children. but one of the main reasons that i am homeschooling my children is for the time that i get to spend with them doing it. could you give me an idea of what moving them towards independence means with hod? will there always be aspects that we do together-experiments, history reading, etc.? if so, what is the goal for the amount of time spent together?

thanks!
wife to jaret '98
foster mom to andie '93
mom to aviah '01
mom to smith '04
mom to faye '08

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:00 pm

annegirl,

This thread may be of some help to you! I'm just popping in between writing to mainly answer placement questions tonight, but this will get you heading in the right direction:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=42

Blessings,
Carrie

annegirl1919

Post by annegirl1919 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:37 pm

thanks, carrie, for your time.
wife to jaret '98
foster mom to andie '93
mom to aviah '01
mom to smith '04
mom to faye '08

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:50 am

This is one of the aspects of the program that I'm very excited about. I struggled with the concept when we first began homeschooling, after all...the whole point of homeschooling is to "BE" there with my kids, right?

At the time, I only had one child in 1st grade. Each school year we've added another baby, and that has totally changed my position. :shock:

I'm too busy to babysit my son's workload each and every minute, but I need to know that he is being diligent and actually learning something. So, I'm glad that there is this transistional guide that leads mom and student into more independent lessons.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH