I need advice! Please!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Bijou

I need advice! Please!

Post by Bijou » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:45 am

Hey everyone!
I take the kids to a p.e. "co-op" at our church every week. My dilemma is this, one of the ladies in charge is quite over-bearing and seems to think that she can direct the other mom's as far as watching our kids. However, her children are often the biggest problem. I don't want to sound gossipy, but I really don't know how to handle this situation. She is very high strung and constantly on us about watching our kids when they go to the bathroom, get a drink, etc. The problem for me is that I don't feel the need to hover over my kids. It is their church too and I am equally responsible to make sure nothing happens to anything in the church. I care about it too and my kids know they are not to be running around like crazy children in the church and they don't. Having said that, I don't feel it's necessary for me to follow my almost nine year old to the bathroom or drinking fountain. My younger two kids know the boundaries too and they respect them. So, I guess the advice I need is how do I approach the situation gently and respectfully but still get my point across? I have spoken to the other leader and she totally gets it as she also is having issues with the other lady. We are kind of at a loss. :( Any advice would be appreciated. thanks!
Jodi
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

sarahwalker143

Re: I need advice! Please!

Post by sarahwalker143 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 am

This is definitely a tricky situation! As difficult as it is to follow the biblical model at time when it comes to confrontation, I think it's the best thing to do. In other words, I think you should go talk to this woman one on one and voice your concerns in a respectful way. If she is receptive and you have a meeting of the minds, wonderful! If not, I will ask another woman to accompany you and go to her again in a spirit of love and compromise and see if you can reach a resolution. Be sure to encourage her in her leadership and thank her for all that she does for the co-op and hopefully she will be receptive to your concerns. Judging by the tone of your original thread, I don't think you'll have any trouble letting her know what your concerns are in a way that is kindhearted. Let us know how it turns out!

Sarah
Mom to 5 children 10 and under (and one on the way) using CTC, BHFHG, and BLHFHG