Foreign languages

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Bijou

Foreign languages

Post by Bijou » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:35 am

Hi all!
I was just curious to know what you all do for foreign language study with your kids, if any at all. I am very interested in learning and teaching the kids German, but don't have a lot of money to spend on a decent study guide. Does anyone have suggestions for one that won't break the bank? thanks!
Jodi
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

sarahwalker143

Re: Foreign languages

Post by sarahwalker143 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:16 am

Does your library have Rosetta Stone available? I've heard excellent reviews of Rosetta Stone but have never used it myself. Are there other resources for learning German through your local library? How about a local college with a German speaking student looking to earn a little income? There is a woman at our church who speaks fluent German (she was raised in Germany), so you never know where you might stumble across someone who is able to speak and teach the language. You could put a few feelers out in different organizations you're involved with and see if anything comes up.

Sarah
Mom to 5 children 10 and under (and one on the way) using CTC, BHFHG, and BLHFHG

Bijou

Post by Bijou » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:39 am

Thank you for the wonderful ideas! I never would have thought of looking at the library...duh! :) Or the college for that matter!
Jodi
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm

The Geography guide coming out next will have a foreign language option, and I'm excited about the one HOD chose! :D You can read about it here...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13452

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie