Questions about Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

Questions about Bigger

Post by krazzymommy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Hello,

We started Bigger with my 2nd grader this year and I had a really hard time running two guides and we ended up dropping HOD altogether. I have been trying to decide what we are going to do next year and had almost pushed the BUY button on another curriculum, but I wasn't feeling God's peace about it. I feel, like I did last year, that God has led our family to HOD, and I prayerfully want to make this work. Although my son was doing fine with Bigger this last year (2nd grade), I feel like it would still be a good fit for him next year. Plus, I am familiar with it, so it's not like I'd be trying to learn something new, you know? So, I was considering buying the extension package to read along during the units that he already covered this year. He will only be in 3rd grade, though. Will they be okay as read alouds? (NOT independent reading.) Just looking for a way to repeat those units (1-15) and change it up a bit so we aren't doing exactly what we did this last year.

My second question is about the Bud & Me book. It is a bit pricey at $18.95! :oops: Considering I'd be reading it with a 3rd grader, is it worth it to buy? We're kind of on a tight budget this year. But if it is not to miss, I'd hate to skip it.

I'd really appreciate some direction. Thanks!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

arstephia

Re: Questions about Bigger

Post by arstephia » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:50 pm

I am doing Bigger with a 3rd grader, and I honestly can't see her getting as much from it had I done it in 2nd grade. That little bit of maturity has made her narrations and big picture understanding so much deeper. So, yes, restart Bigger! There will be things he remembers, other things that will seem new to him. As for the extensions, I am doing some of them as extra read alouds because they are just SO good, so I think that would be a great way to keep it fresh. That said, I got some of the extension books from my library, so perhaps you can interlibrary loan the Bud and Me book.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

lucsch

Post by lucsch » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 pm

My 3rd/4th grader read all the extension books herself, as she is a voracious reader! I think it adds quite a bit of depth to Bigger. However, I don't think it would be necessary. They are intended for the older student, to extend the age suitability of the program. Some would probably work well as read-alouds, while others would not.
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:46 pm

arstephia wrote:I am doing Bigger with a 3rd grader, and I honestly can't see her getting as much from it had I done it in 2nd grade. That little bit of maturity has made her narrations and big picture understanding so much deeper. So, yes, restart Bigger! There will be things he remembers, other things that will seem new to him. As for the extensions, I am doing some of them as extra read alouds because they are just SO good, so I think that would be a great way to keep it fresh. That said, I got some of the extension books from my library, so perhaps you can interlibrary loan the Bud and Me book.
Great! This is what I was hoping to hear. I got some advice from some other HOD users, as well, and I think this is definitely the way that we are going to go. I honestly don't think he is going to remember much that we did earlier this year. There was a lot of times that I remember thinking, gosh, he would have gotten more out of this next year. So, now he gets to do it "next year".
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:16 pm

I just wanted to encourage you that you really CAN do more than one guide. Sometimes it takes a while to get into the groove. Give yourself permission to run things at half-speed for a while if you need to do so. I have almost never been able to start day 1 on a Monday! HOD has such a flow to it that it never really mattered that a weekend fell in between a unit.

I have also found Bigger to probably be the most teacher-intensive program in HOD. Now, my ds has severe dyslexia, so that makes every program teacher-intensive! But for the "normal" learner, I think you will find that your dc is able to do more on his own as the programs continue. Carrie does a wonderful job encouraging gradual independence. Each year, the child takes on more independently. So, right now, you are in the most intensive years as far as your time requirement. Just get done what you can in the day and pick up where you left off the next day.

hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:02 pm

lmercon wrote:I just wanted to encourage you that you really CAN do more than one guide. Sometimes it takes a while to get into the groove. Give yourself permission to run things at half-speed for a while if you need to do so. I have almost never been able to start day 1 on a Monday! HOD has such a flow to it that it never really mattered that a weekend fell in between a unit.

I have also found Bigger to probably be the most teacher-intensive program in HOD. Now, my ds has severe dyslexia, so that makes every program teacher-intensive! But for the "normal" learner, I think you will find that your dc is able to do more on his own as the programs continue. Carrie does a wonderful job encouraging gradual independence. Each year, the child takes on more independently. So, right now, you are in the most intensive years as far as your time requirement. Just get done what you can in the day and pick up where you left off the next day.

hth,
Laura
Thank you for your words of encouragement. You really have no idea how much they mean to me. :)
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Monica,

The ladies are doing a wonderful job of helping answer questions and encouraging you. They are truly amazing women! :D

I just wanted to pop-in and mention that if you made it partway through Bigger last year, I would be inclined to just pick Bigger up where you left off and go forward from there with it as written. For a third grader, I wouldn't add the Extension Pack as a general rule but would instead encourage you to do the Storytime books (either boy, girl, or classic set). The skills in the storytime box are really important, and the books in the Storytime sets were chosen for their read-aloud quality. :D

The Extension books were intended to be read independently by the child, and were chosen to extend the study of American history for an older learner. So, the Extension readings will be much longer as read-alouds as they were not intended for that purpose. If you love to read aloud you can certainly read aloud some of the Extension titles, but we wouldn't want that to replace the very needed Storytime read-aloud sessions and skills. :D

The other thing I was wondering was what you're planning to do with your next youngest child? Is that child still doing Beyond or are you thinking of combining that child in Bigger with the older child? I ask because this will make a difference as to whether you should begin at the start of Bigger or whether you should just pick it back up where you left off. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:28 am

Hi Carrie,

I am pondering what you said. I do plan on doing the regularly scheduled read alouds and in the back of my mind, I am wondering if we would have time to get to the extensions as read alouds, as well. I was planning on having my daughter do Little Hearts again and listening to my son's read alouds. She fits fine into Little Hearts and I don't mind having her redo some of it. She actually saw the History for Little Pilgrims the other day and asked if we could read out of that again.

I just keep praying!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC