Singapore 2A Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3sweeties

Singapore 2A Question

Post by 3sweeties » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:29 am

Hi all!

I just have a question about Singapore 2A. Now that my 2nd grader is getting into multiplication and division, the word problems in the review he just completed had him choose whether to add, subtract, multiply, or divide. He had a HARD time choosing the correct one (really, he couldn't do it without a little bit of help). Is this okay or should I go back and have him practice various word problems? I have taught him to look for "key words" in the word problems, such as "all together", "how many more", "equally", etc. Any other ideas or is this just something he will grow into "getting" as he progresses through Singapore?

Thanks ahead of time for your help! :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

lmercon

Re: Singapore 2A Question

Post by lmercon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 am

When I taught school, I often had students who had a very difficult time with that as well. I would model for them how to go through a problem looking for key words. I would have them highlight or circle the key words as a reminder when they would begin actually "number crunching." The big thing is to have a "plan of attack" before you worry about the numbers. Once the plan is in place, the math isn't all that hard. Your dc will get it eventually. Some kids just need a lot of modeling and hand-holding for a while.
hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Ive never taught mine to search out key words bc with singapore, as they get deeper in, those can mislead you! Multi step problems dont always have two sets of key words to know which operations, and the order in which to do them both must be deciphered as well. So i have taught mine to draw them using pictures, or dots, or lines similar to singapore bar models. Those bar models are amazing for doing the hard problems! Id say move on. It will come up a lot. It is a definite steong part of singapore at every level, so practice will be there. Walk him through with a little guidance...if my kids get stumped, i make up a similar peoblem but change the numbers, then do it on the dry erase board while "thinking out loud" as i model draw amd solve it. That really seems to help!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Allison was just finishing 2a a few weeks ago, and I made sure I was close while she was doing the review. After she read the problem, I'd ask, "So, what do you think... Are they wanting us to add something together to solve this problem? Or, are we needing to take something away or see what the difference is between 2 numbers? Should we divide this into equal groups? Do we have several groups the same size that we need to count?". This lineup of questions seemed to really help her get to thinking, and she could pick out what was being asked. By the end of the book, she was able to think these questions without me asking them. (But I still will if she's stuck in the future.). :)
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks, everyone! I needed to be reminded that it's okay if I "talk" him through some of the problems and help him think them through. Since there are no "tests" in Singapore, I guess I look at those reviews as that (only to myself) and get worried if he is lost on some of it. He is also my child that dissolves into tears if he can't get something and hears the slightest bit of impatience or irritation in my voice, so I have to be really careful how I respond to him when he is struggling. :wink:
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

mamaduke

Post by mamaduke » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Tamara, I'd love to hear more about how you draw the pictures for your children in math. Can you give a page number or two so I can see what you mean? Sounds like an interesting plan but I need more detail. Thanks!
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!