High School placement question here too :)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamas4bugs

High School placement question here too :)

Post by mamas4bugs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 pm

We have been SO very excited about the upcoming Geography guide and about using HOD for high school! My oldest son has completed the guides through RTR. He took this year to do another curriculum because he really wanted to study church history, and we intended to use the high school Geography guide next year. We knew we would be skipping Rev2rev and MTMM, but we were OK with that (had he done Rev2rev this year, he would be doing modern history in 9th and then early American in 12th, and while I know the history cycle isn't the end-all-be-all of homeschooling existence, that concept just makes his and my brains hurt :P ).

Skills wise, he fits very solidly in high school. He has completed CLE's 8th grade grammar and literature, and read the literature books in SL's Core 200 this year (a high school level core). He is using one of IEW's theme-based writing guides this year and doing very well. He has started Algebra already. He is using Tiner's IPC science this year already and making A's. He is very self-directed and independent in his work, doing it well and in a timely fashion (most of the time :D ). He is spiritually mature, doing his own Bible study these days without prompting (thank you, Preparing, for instilling that skill in him!). He has always used the extension books in the guides without complaining, as he is an avid reader. So, it seems like a no-brainer to just put him in the Geography guide, right?

Except....

We moved to SoCal year before last, and it has not been a good fit for our family, especially this past year. We are currently (praise God!) in the process of moving back to the Seattle area, which is wonderful, but it does involve some business and stress. There are tons of activities for my boys to get back into once we get back, including a co-op that we loved before we left. The idea came to me yesterday that maybe we should just pick up the guides where we left off instead of jumping into the Geography guide, even though I am certain he could do it without an issue for the following reasons:

1. It picks up history where we left off, which makes both of us happy.
2. It works fine in WA to use Rev2rev as .5 credit of American history his 9th grade year and MTMM as the other .5 credit for 10th grade, then doing Geo in 11th and World history in 12th.
3. He loves the extension books and is going to want to read them, even though he won't be in the extension range if he uses the Geo guide in 9th, so if we use it a little later, he will be older and the extensions, which he wants to use, won't be as much of an increase in his work load (as he will be more mature and used to the heavier work load of high school by 11th grade).
4. Next year will be LOADED with extra activities as there are so many opportunities there. I know we don't have to do everything, but we want to let him get some cool life experiences, and so he will be involved in Sea Scouts (a division of boy scouts) and in Search and Rescue training, along with his usual piano and martial arts training. He will also be joining the high school youth group.
5. I like Carrie's choices for writing and worldview and logic, but....He is really interested in doing the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum next year, and he is taking a worldview class at the co-op. If we waited on the Geo guide, we could still use Carrie's choices at a later date. Also, we've already done The Fallacy Detective, but not the Art of Argument, so by waiting a couple of years, he could do the entire logic course as written and it wouldn't seem like a repeat. (I'm not worried about counting credits for things like fine arts and Bible....I just want him to do the courses and learn from them).
6. Science doesn't matter, as he has already used what's scheduled in the Geo guide, and will likely take science at co-op anyway.
7. The "lighter" load of Rev2Rev, with extensions, gives him a chance to get settled into all his activities and back into friendships and such, while still giving him room for the high school load of more demanding English, science, worldview, and math (which is a bit of a struggle. It may take us this year and next to get through algebra :shock: ).

So, if you made it reading this far, thank you! :) Anyone have any thoughts?
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

holdinon

Re: High School placement question here too :)

Post by holdinon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:20 am

just bumping this up for you--I've got one of my own I'm bumping too :wink:
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:13 pm

holdinon wrote:just bumping this up for you--I've got one of my own I'm bumping too :wink:
Thank you. :)

We are also now considering MTMM for next year, but all the same basic pros/cons apply regarding MTMM as they do for Rev2Rev, except that we would give half a credit for it in 9th, 1 credit for Geo in 10th, 1 credit for World in 11th, and then possibly do Gov/Eco in 12th....or do Gov/Eco earlier and leave room for anything he might want to take as dual credit at the local CC his senior year.
Crawdad 11 Preparing

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:14 pm

mamas4bugs,

Thank you so much for sharing more about your son and life's circumstances and activities that most definitely play a role in finding the best fit with HOD! :D

From what you've shared, it does sound like your son would be ready for the World Geography guide skill-wise, however in thinking through the move back to Seattle and the extra-curriculars involved, in addition to the fact that your son is currently doing the science scheduled in the World Geography guide, plus the fact that your son loves the Extensions, leads me to think that it may be good to consider either Rev2Rev or MTMM for him. :D

This would indeed give him the wiggle room you are seeking in his schedule (and since you'll be doing science at the co-op anyway) leaves that burden behind. I also think that when more time will be needed to complete his math, it is wise not to bite off too much as far as the rest of his academics go, as we do want to strive for balance. :D

I mentioned a sequence of things to consider for finding the "right" fit for each student in a previous thread that I think is very timely in regards to your son. So, I'll repost the portion that applies to him below for reference:
So, I usually end up going back to the placement chart first to gain placement knowledge (paying the most attention to the first page of the chart) with the 3R's heavily in mind. Next, I weigh the science as kiddos are heading into the high school years. After that I begin weighing the other deciding factors: maturity, independence, work habits, commitment to longer days, and state/college requirements. Usually, by that point I have a clearer picture of what the "right" placement for that student might be. Then, I recommend bathing the decision in prayer and waiting on the Lord to see if He confirms the decision.

I agree that while MTMM is a wonderful guide, in the end the decision of whether to use it or not really comes down to the best placement all around. However, in placement it is very wise not to overlook maturity, work habits, independence, and commitment to a longer school day! If a student is needing extra time in any of the 3R's, I would never bump that child forward past a guide. If a student struggles or is a bit behind in math, I would definitely keep in mind then how much time math will add to a child's day as math gets harder as you go up! This additional time needed to complete math each day, would make the high school guides much longer than we intend. So, I wouldn't bump a child struggling in math forward either. I would also never bump that child forward in the sciences (as the sciences become driven by math skills in high school). If a student did not have strong, independent work habits, or a willingness to commit to longer school days, with an increased work load (then I wouldn't bump that child forward either, or you'll be dragging him/her along for years to come). If a student has health issues or family issues or commitments in many outside areas, I would make sure to balance school accordingly so that it doesn't add additional pressures that would overwhelm the student. I could go on, but you're getting the picture that placement advice is affected by so many personal factors! This makes it impossible to give pat answers.
With this in mind, and the fact that you are not worried about the counting of credits in fine arts, Bible, etc. and the fact that he is taking a worldview class at co-op and wants to do the One-Year Adventure Novel, I would really lean toward either Rev2Rev or MTMM. :D I would spend some time pondering what you will do for lit./comp/grammar after the One-Year Adventure Novel as that may make some difference as to whether you go with Rev2Rev or MTMM (as you'll want to be thinking whether you'll be using the lit./comp/grammar from the World Geography guide). If so, you would want to head into the World Geography by 10th grade to take advantage of that portion of the plans. :D It is also wise to think ahead a bit on the science, to see if that will affect your decision as to which guide fits best in the future sequence of things. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Thank you, Carrie, for your thoughts (and for taking time to share them). :) The more I think about it, the more I feel that with all of his outside activities and the upcoming move, waiting on the Geography guide is best.

Talking with my son, he would prefer MTMM to Rev2Rev, as he is more interested in modern history than early American. I'm also thinking that you were very wise to suggest we look at language arts in future years. We would really like to use the high school guides as closely to written as possible, so I'm thinking that we are leaning toward MTMM at this time.

We'll be ordering in mid-April after we get all moved in, so I still have some time to think and pray over this. Again, thank you so much for your thoughts! :)
Crawdad 11 Preparing

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:34 pm

mamas4bugs,

I agree that if you desire to use the guides as closely as written as possible that I would lean toward MTMM as well. :D If your son does decide not to do the One-Year Adventure Novel, you could reconsider the World Geography guide for its lit/comp/grammar (as at that point you would need those subject areas covered in some other way). :D

I do think balance is very important though, and with a move and many outside activities, his plate will be very full. This is so wise to take into consideration as you ponder the best fit for him! Plus, I do think it is good to have room in his schedule to devote extra time to math (if that happens not to be an area of ease for him). Math drives the sciences in high school, and a good foundation in Algebra is essential! :D Plus, math can be a huge time commitment at the Algebra on up level, and it is good to bear that in mind when looking at the amount of time the other subjects will be taking on top of that. :D

Blessings,
Carrie