High School Foreign Language?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

High School Foreign Language?

Post by deltagal » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:28 am

Do we know yet the recommendations for Foreign Language for High school. I need to finalize some decisions on that route and I am very interested in HOD's plan. Something simple and time conservative would be a blessing!
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

arstephia

Re: High School Foreign Language?

Post by arstephia » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:00 pm

Bumping up this question! I will have a 10th grader using the new Geography guide, but need to start Foreign Language for him too. Would love a nudge in the recommended direction.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:54 pm

I'm another one who is very eager to hear about this subject.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:32 am

Just wanted to mention what we are using. I searched and searched for a program that really did what I hoped my children would ultimately use foreign language for and that is witnessing. :D It's hard to find. But there is one that actually has the end goal of that for Spanish 1, Landmark Freedom Baptist. I have three kids using it and it actually has been the Spanish program I have had the best retention with as well. That is not a HOD pick as far as I know but just wanted to put it out there in case that fits the bill for someone. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:49 am

We are planning to start German, and there isn't much out there for that one. I want to buy a set from Living Language but have been waiting to see Carrie's recommends in the high school guide sneak peaks. However, that elective hasn't popped up yet. I've dabbled a little using my old Berlitz materials, but wanted to find something that would be more friendly for dd to use on her own. One reason we are going with German since both dh and me know the language and would be able to help her. Another reason is that next year we hope to see a gal from Germany who lived with us 4 summers ago. Dd wants to surprise her and be able to hold a conversation with her in German. :D In the end dd wants to learn all the languages. I see a budding Linguist! :D :D I love learn languages, so it will be fun to see if anything takes off with her in this area.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.