New to HOD - Rev 2 Rev

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Onduli

New to HOD - Rev 2 Rev

Post by Onduli » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:48 am

Just wanted to say that I'm so excited to have ordered HOD for my 12 year old son. I have been struggling for years trying to find a program that approached learning in this way and can't believe I didn't find HOD sooner! This past year I have been trying on my own to pull together history with living books and have discovered that it's not as easy as it sounds. Am planning on stretching Rev 2 Rev to finish his 6th grade year (continuing with some of the other materials we are currently using) and then full force for 7th grade.

My only concern is that his written narration may not be up to par at this level (we've done far more oral narration through the years than written.) Will the guide have further explanation how to complete a "10-14" sentence narration" such as perhaps a list of the steps they built upon up to this point? I know he will be able to get up to speed if I can give him specific pointers on how to get there. If only I had found HOD sooner ;)

Judy Juarez
- and in case you're curious why a username of "Onduli" - Many years ago, I needed a username to use while geocaching and could not think of anything. Somehow, my dear husband came upon a website with translations for the language Kwanyama. My favorite animal is the giraffe - or onduli in Kwanyama. An online identity is born :)
- Judy -
Enjoyed Rev to Rev, MTMM, LHTH
2015-2016: DS14 WG, DS7 Beyond, DS5 parts of LHFHG

Onduli

Re: New to HOD - Rev 2 Rev

Post by Onduli » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:00 am

One more thing to add... I have 2 other sons as well, ages 3 and almost 5 and look forward to using HOD with them when the time comes.
- Judy -

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:56 am

Welcome!! We are finishing up my 11yo's 6th grade yr with Rev2Rev as well and start unit 6 tomorrow. :) She is an excellent oral narrator and does decent with the written narrations. They were much better in lower levels bc it was much shorter readings, but the whole year is ahead of her to learn and improve! We use the narration tips from the appendix and work on it tip by tip. That helps guide you some. The other middle school guides are where to most foundational written narration skills are taught....including who or what it is mainly about, descriptors, closing semtence, and there are starter phrases to get tem going. At first, perhaps you could offer up the starters for him and ask him the basic questions for him to self check. Reading it aloud to himself also is great help.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Onduli

Post by Onduli » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:36 pm

Tamara,
thanks so much for your comments.

I'm so pleased with HOD customer service - ordered very late one evening and received the "it shipped" email the very next day! Box day should be Friday! I'll have to try not to tackle the UPS man ;)
- Judy -

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Judy,

I'm so excited for you to receive your books! :D We look forward to getting to know you better and pray you will have a blessed year with Rev2Rev. :D

Blessings,
Carrie