? ordering Rev to Rev for highschool

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
beverett

? ordering Rev to Rev for highschool

Post by beverett » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Hello Ladies,

I am trying to get everything together to place our next order and was not certain about one thing... Does anyone know, if I am doing Rev to Rev with a highscool student should I order the Basic package as well as the extensions or should I just get the extensions? I looked through the sticky up top but did not see this.. I was in a hurry though so it may have been there and I just missed it! :D :D Thank you all so much!
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

8arrows

Re: ? ordering Rev to Rev for highschool

Post by 8arrows » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Make sure you order the advanced science option if you are using HOD science.

The basic package would be optional. You would need the extension package (and obviously the economy).
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:16 pm

We did Rev to Rev last year and used both the basic and extension packages. I believe you need both in oreder for it to be beefed up enough to count as highschool credit. I can't imagine doing it without both packages.
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:51 am

You would need both for high school, HTH! :D Enjoy it - RevtoRev was a wonderful year for our Wyatt - I think it will be for you too! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:04 pm

We have a 16 yo using Rev to Rev for high school at present. Here's what you need:
1.) Economy package - decide if you are using state study or signers
2.) Extension
3.) You do not need to order the Read-Aloud (Basic) package, if you have a full-load otherwise. With a little effort I might be able to find the link where Carrie discusses this. We are not using this with our son, because we are doing a great deal of work in literature. HOwever, I did pick up a few of these books to enjoy as a family at lunch-time.
4.) Science/Math/Rod and Staff - whatever you've decided to use.

Abundant blessings to you. It is a very, very fine program. Your student (and you) will really enjoy it!
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:32 pm

These two responses from Carrie are why I thought the basic package was optional if you are doing REV2REV for high school:

Much of the meat of the program is in the Student Notebook, so you wouldn't want to move toward doing the Extensions in place of the Student Notebook. The guide honestly wouldn't work without the Student Notebook

Instead, we would expect a high school student to fully complete all of Rev2Rev and MTMM, and to do it well. The only part you could forego if your child is in the high school range for those guides is the Basic Package (and only if you use the Extension Package could you do this). Instead, to make the Extensions high school worthy, you will want to employ some of the follow-ups suggested in the guide for the Extension Package. These would include oral narrations, written narrations, and some additional notebooking (all of which could be filed in the main Student Notebook).

Blessings,
Carrie

Great responses here! I agree wholeheartedly. In the guides previous to high school, it is advisable to have your child listen in to the Basic Package (or read them himself/herself) and also do the Extension books if he/she is in the Extension range. However, once a child hits the formal high school years (and subjects like math, science, and literature really begin taking a huge chunk of time each day) it makes sense to keep the study of history in balance with the rest of the day.

So, the concern at that age becomes making the study of history high school worthy in depth and content and also in keeping it from overloading the child's day. At that point, the Extension Package becomes key for a high school student, and the Basic Package (while truly wonderful) becomes secondary and even optional in the balance of the day.

Blessings,
Carrie
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Good job 8arrows. Thank you for doing the digging.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks for correcting me here ladies - so sorry about that - I read this one too fast! I really appreciate you sharing this and the links too! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

beverett

Post by beverett » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Thank you all sooo much!! :D :D This is exactly what I was needing! I thought I remembered reading Carries response somewhere but was unable to find it myself... and I remember that when he did CTC he used both packages (so I was unsure). I was also thinking he has such a full day already and with the BJU American Literature he will be doing I really did not want to add any more than needed. You all are such a blessing! :D :D Thank you again!
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie