DITHOR TM Necessary?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
AmyHall

DITHOR TM Necessary?

Post by AmyHall » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Hello. I was looking at DITHOR 4/5 for my fourth grader doing Bigger next year and was wondering if the Teacher's Manual would be necessary? In the past I have leaned toward purchasing TMs for various programs and after the first week I find I never use them as they really aren't needed or are just too time consuming to make it practical for me to use. I was wondering what you all have found with the DITHOR TM for 4/5. Is it necessary or could I take my 4th grader through the worksheets without using the TM? I appreciate your suggestions.
FYI: In addition to my 10 year old who I'll be taking through DITHOR I will be teaching an 8-year-old and juggling a 3-year-old. I'm sure I'd love the TM if I was only schooling one child but given I have the other two I like to keep things as simple as possible, which is what brings me to this question : ) Thank you!

Mom2Monkeys

Re: DITHOR TM Necessary?

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Most of dithor IS the teacher manual. :-) so yes, it is a must. And it is simple to use! You will use it over and over for every grade 2nd-8th, and can teach even your 8&10 together now with it...one in 4/5 and one in 2/3. Each day has directions fro each of the three levels, and many days with together teaching. Each child just has their own book on their level for that lesson. Im currently using it with 3rd gr 9yo and 6th gr 11yo using 2/3 & 6/7/8. It takes about 15-20m with 2/3, and 30-45 for 6/7/8 but she does most independently. It is a wondefully deep, yet simple to implement program.

On a side note, my kids are similar ages as yours, but i have one more. Mine are 11,9,6,3. We do four levels of HOD and i actually have schedules shared from different years with different guide combos on my hslaunch.com profile. Search "school days gone by" on there and youll find me and all my schedules :-) hope they help you see how doable HID is with several kids!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling