Finishing LHFHG in a couple of weeks!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Heidi in AK

Finishing LHFHG in a couple of weeks!

Post by Heidi in AK » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:33 am

Hi everyone! Just a quick check-in since I know we have been absent for a while to say I'm so EXCITED that we are within two weeks of finishing LHFHG with my DD6! We have been at this for at least a year and a half, while we learned homeschooling ropes and fought hard to learn patience while my daughter's skills caught up with her desires!

Now she is eager to adopt spelling lists and I told her that we needed to finish LHFHG so we could move to Beyond, which has spelling lists in it! She is so excited! That said, we are going to go half-speed. MWF-MW will make up our units for a while until after she turns 7 later this summer. Then we'll reevaluate and go as fast as full-speed, if she's ready and able by then. :)

Meanwhile, we have started LHTH with my DS-almost 4. We go about half-speed, doing all the activities. I think we'll go through the entire book once until he turns 5, then for his K year we are going to go through it again full-speed, adding in K options like ARFH K and Singapore Earlybird Math 2A & 2B. I had picked those up for him when I purchased Beyond for my DD.

We are so excited! Just wanted to check in and tell you all we were still here!!!
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

mommybelle

Re: Finishing LHFHG in a couple of weeks!

Post by mommybelle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:31 pm

That is exciting (and encouraging)! I remember reading your blog a year ago when I was struggling with my DD who was giving me fits with school at the time. She was 5 yo then. She turned 6 yo in October. Your struggles sounded very similar to mine. And then I booked our schedule solid again this year, and we have been dealing with some of the same struggles! :oops: But, with God's help and through encouragement from others here on HOD, I am finally feeling more confident that we can do this! I am hoping to finish LHFHG before the end of this year shortly after my DD turns 7 yo. We are currently on Unit 10 in LHFHG. Thanks for sharing your progress!
DD1 (11): PHFHG
DD2 (8): BLHFHG

DS1 (4): LHTH
http://mommybelle.blogspot.com/

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi Heidi! I remember exchanging posts with you a while back. I don't get on here very often anymore either, but I'm glad I did just in time to see your post! Wow, you got through pretty quick it seems like to me! Now I have my oldest who is 1/3 the way through Bigger Hearts and my 2nd who is 2/3 the way through Little Hearts, and my 3 year old who is giving me fits! I should do LHTH with her more often than I do, but life has been crazy.

I'm so glad to hear your daughter is enjoying and looking forward to the challenges in Beyond! Does she like handwriting? The copywork was my oldest DD's big struggle when we started Beyond, and she still doesn't like handwriting very much. She actually is a good "writer" as in can create sentences and come up with ideas, but hates the physical skill of writing it down. I suppose I should teach her to type, huh? :wink:

I am sure however that you guys will have a great time! I'm glad you have a plan for your son too. The second one seems to fit in there much more smoothly, plus they get all excited when they can do school like the older sibling.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:54 pm

It was so nice to hear from you, Heidi in AK! :D I've been hoping things with dd have evened out, and it sounds like that is exactly what has happened! A patient, encouraging mama paired with an HOD guide with Christ in the center of it all is sure a powerful combination. I'm so happy for you! :D You will enjoy having your little one doing LHTH along with your older dd doing Beyond too. It is fun as a homeschool teacher to go between guides such as these. It is really fulfilling to feel like you get to move from older guides to younger guides and enjoy each of your dc in their own way at their own stage of life. Thank you for sharing your joy here with us, and may God continue to bless your homeschooling! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie