Confused about historical fiction genre....and hist. book

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
intotheirhearts

Confused about historical fiction genre....and hist. book

Post by intotheirhearts » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:52 am

I am confused about what exactly historical fiction is. We are reading Sarah Witcher's story for our historical fiction. Is historical fiction basically just a fictional story that is set in a real time and place in history? So the time and place and ways of the people are historical fact but the story itself is fictional. The Sarah Witcher story is under HOD's historical fiction genre, yet the book cover says it is a New Hampshire folktale. Just confused overall on what historical fiction truly is so we know what to take from it as fact and fiction.

Also, the Stories of the Pilgrims book we are reading for history in Beyond, is it all historical fact? Did each of those adults and children actually exist? Was there really a little Francis Billington who liked to get into mischief and little girls named Love and Patience? Or are these characters made up and fictional but it is just the general story line in the book that is the historical part we are reading and learning for history?

blessedmama

Re: Confused about historical fiction genre....and hist. boo

Post by blessedmama » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:14 pm

Great questions! I actually was wondering the same thing, so....BUMP! :lol:
Saved by Grace,
Sara D.

Wife of DH for 13 years! Mother to my four wonderful blessings from the Lord (DD 11; DS 10; DS 9; DD 7)

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:49 pm

Many books can fit into a variety of genres and although we haven't read this book yet that is what it sounds like Historical Fiction means that it is in fact a fictional story taking place in a historical setting. It gets really interesting when the book was originally meant to be set in current times but we are so far from then it now turns in to historical. The historical aspect has much more to do with the setting rather than the plot although the setting can often influence the plot. I hope that wasn't too confusing!

As far as the stories about the pilgrims, I think there is some creative license there as to how mischievous the children were, etc. but my understanding is that the names and ages are historical fact. I did some research about the Mayflower because I had heard I had an ancestor aboard. The names for those children are the actual names of the kids then.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

intotheirhearts

Post by intotheirhearts » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Hm...thanks. That is helpful that you found that those were actual children on the Mayflower. Thanks for sharing your info!

psreit

Post by psreit » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:09 am

Historical fiction often takes factual events from history but uses fictional characters. We read one that told about the unveiling of the Statue of Liberty when it was brought to America, but they used a fictional story about a family that went to see it. The Little House books are considered historical fiction, but the setting, characters, and even many events in the stories are facts. Just not all of them. So, they are considered fiction. Some will say 'based on a true story'.

As far as the Mayflower characters, those children are factual, and some of the events may be factual, but as with the Little House books, they add things to make it exciting. My dd really enjoyed those stories. :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Those were real children but Love Brewster is actually a boy. We are almost done with the book and will be SO sad when that happens.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 pm

I was confused too. At the back of the Sarah Whitcher story the author's note said that she was a real person and really did get lost in the woods as a small child. The account of everything that happened to her while she was lost was embellished.
Kristin
Mom to two girly girls (7 and 5) and boy/girl twins born May 2013
Have used LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond
Sharing our joy at http://www.broomandcrown.com