To switch...or not to switch...that is the question...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
cbenson29

To switch...or not to switch...that is the question...

Post by cbenson29 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 am

I posted something similar in another thread, but I thought I would post this on the main board as I am in search of advice...

I'm thinking about this too! Switching - I keep longingly looking at CTC for next year and *sigh* I keep trying to get us through the stuff we are doing now. We have a 4th grader (9yr), a Kinder (5yr), and K-tag-along (almost 4yr - she just can't stand to be left out) and a 1.5yr old. We started homeschooling 2years ago (pulled the then 2nd grader out of private school we could no longer afford) and started with Abeka Academy. It was wonderful as it was a great 'transition' year for us. I learned her learning style, got comfortable with the idea of teaching her myself, and learned that we HATED pure workbooks :) We still use Abeka for language arts and math at K....the programs are strong, but that was it. We needed something more alive for our history and science and music, and, well, everything else :)

We did all sorts of research and thought that MFW would be the way to go - we bought MFW K and ECC. But the repetition took all the joy out of the schooling for my K-er. He nearly cried when we talked school time. We switched in January to Sonlight A after seeing how he was such a reader - he could read (or be read to) for hours! It has been an the BEST switch for him! He actually enjoys school again. He actually read for the first time yesterday! Woohoo!

Now I struggle with my 4th - we've been hanging in there with ECC. December was our low point - neither one of us wanted to do school :) We were tired of repetition, and we found much of the suggested books dry. Text-like sometimes - what we had hoped to skip out on from Abeka. Abeka 4 Math was also causing tears. And we were dragging our feet so badly, we NEVER got to do art (her favorite subject). We were schooling from 8am to suppertime (like 5pm, sometimes later!) and still not getting through everything. I can't say she was lazy - just uninterested. So, we started adding in the read alouds from Sonlight's Cores F (Eastern - we are studying China, Africa, Japan, Saudi Arabia, etc) that I thought weren't too heavy (she's pretty mature). We also switched to Teaching Textbooks. That has made her like school again, and we can get through a day's work in a day, but now all she wants to do is read :) And it's hard to 'connect-the-dots' on most days for her. It's not that the curriculum is wrong, it just isn't what I think is best. There are still days she drags her feet...and she's really unhappy with the science. We love AIG, but Principles of Ecology is just dry ;) We've enjoyed learning about other cultures, learning animals and ecosystems, and the like...but we are still dragging. And she loves history and art. Both which were feeling the lack of this year (history isn't really added b/c geo is the focus and we don't normally get to art b/c of dragging). We tried a reader from PHFHG (Who is MArco Polo) while studying China and it was her favorite read-aloud of them all!

We KNOW that we want to start a history cycle next year. We were looking at the different cycles next year and we are almost positive that we will be starting CTC in Fall. She's excited about the art and the notebooking (we were lapbooking - but the repetition drained here there too - no longer fun). And she loves the graphics on the samples.

Oh, i want to switch now :) Guilt over the $ is holding me back. So is the idea that maybe I'm wrong and the switch won't help - I know that the change of curriculum isn't a panacea. Arggghhh....And I haven't seen the whole thing in person, i just keep pouring over the samples on-line and the HOD catalogue. She's doing the same and has looked at other sites and can't see anything she likes better either.

Is it worth it to switch mid-year? Can we stretch CTC into a year and a half? I know there are things she's going to have to learn (narration) and work on getting better (dictation). But the rest of the placement chart puts her squarely in the CTC bracket. I though about starting PHFHG for the end of this year, but couldn't see the economic advantage...but maybe that's an option too.

Thanks for reading all of this! Thanks for any advice - I'm confused and not sure where to go from here. I'm definitely in the 'newbie' group here - and I'm feeling it :)

*disclaimer - none of the above mentioned curriculum is "bad," just not for us apparently*
I'm still learning this homeschooling thing, and new to HOD this year. Married to my best friend and other half. Blessed beyond measure with
DD (9) in CTC
DS (5) in Sonlight A
DD (3) in LHTH
DD (1.5) who just likes to toddle along like a tasmanian devil

raceNzanesmom

Re: To switch...or not to switch...that is the question...

Post by raceNzanesmom » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 am

We switched mid-year 1st grade. I'm soooo glad we did.

I'd pour over the placement chart and place your child in whichever level she fits. You could do Preparing and start CTC when finished or use CTC and stretch it if you find the need. Whatever works for you.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:37 am

Welcome to the HOD Board! :) Thank you for sharing your journey with us here - so many moms here have a similar journey that I know this will resonate with many. I think you are going to find such a happy homeschooling home with HOD! We are currently doing CTC and loving it for all of the reasons you mentioned - awesome living books for all subject areas, beautiful history notebooking, projects that stimulate the creative side, solid academic skills included in engaging ways, assessments that are varied and interesting - I could go on and on! :D So, so, so many families make a switch midyear -I think you should join them. :D Yes, you can easily make CTC last 1 1/2 years - we are. Simply start CTC half-speed for several months, and it will take 1 1/2 years. This actually is a wonderful plan from an academic perspective too, as you can start CTC now half-speed, taking 2 days to do a 2 page spread of plans, which will allow you to focus on teaching some wonderful new CM skills to dd (such as oral narration, written narration, and dictation). :) I'm excited for you to begin your HOD year! You can check out my posts on the weekly check-in to see some pics and comments about CTC if you are a visual gal. I am looking forward to getting to know you here on the board! :) Keep asking questions until you are set - the ladies here are great! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

glperky

Post by glperky » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

I say, "switch now!" I have a 20 yr. that went to private school until he started 9 th grade, then we brought him home. He didn't like school at all from day one of Kinder until the day he graduated. My heart still breaks to this day because of it. If I could go back and change this and do something in order for him to like school, I would. If you are HSing and your child doesn't like school and you change something so that they will, then by all means, change it! Just my 2 cents!
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

agstefko

Post by agstefko » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm not in the upper guides yet, but switching for us has been amazing. I have the first couple years from another lit based curriculum and was planning on using it with my 2nd child but after doing a few weeks of Beyond with my first I decided to go ahead and switch both kids over. I know I can still use some of books from the other curriculum but just saying it was worth the money and headach for us to switch and my kids love it and our days are so much more fun!
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

psreit

Post by psreit » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Welcome to HOD! You've come to right place. :)
If the only thing holding you back is the $, I know how you feel. But, when this has happened to me, I went ahead and switched, even knowing I wouldn't get back all that I put into it.(I would try to sell on Ebay...some succesful, some not) But, having a dd with reading and math struggles, I ended up experimenting. I would choose a program I thought would work, but would end up realizing it was not the method to best meet her needs. I believe I have now found what she needs in those areas, as I have determined there is, more than likely, some dyslexia involved. That all said to say that I understand how frustrating it can be when something is just not working. Even though she enjoys the history and science, and even does well with the English, dd has developed a dislike for school,mainly because of math, but I think with some new methods I am incorporating into our day, she will learn not to dread it and realize that learning can be fun.

I remember when I first found HOD. My dd was in school for K at the time. I knew I needed to bring her home. It was February when I found it and I just could not wait to get started, but I had to let her finish the year at school. If I would have had her home at the time, I probably would have started immediately. So, if you are prepared for the $ loss, you could start CTC now and do it over one and a half years like Julie said. Another idea would be, since your dd likes to read, get the history and science readers from Preparing and have her finish out the year with those. You could have her practice narration with those and then in the fall she will be all ready to begin CTC full speed. Either way you decide, I'm sure you will love HOD. I have been very thankful for it. :D :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

cbenson29

Post by cbenson29 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 pm

I just wanted to thank everyone for all you help and advice! I had a great conversation with HOD today to. And....we are switching. We have ordered (yeah!) and I can't wait for it to get here! We are going to to CtC over a year and a half and include some of the readers from PHFHG in the first part. take it slow and see how if goes!

Thank you all and God Bless!
I'm still learning this homeschooling thing, and new to HOD this year. Married to my best friend and other half. Blessed beyond measure with
DD (9) in CTC
DS (5) in Sonlight A
DD (3) in LHTH
DD (1.5) who just likes to toddle along like a tasmanian devil

igeagewalker

Post by igeagewalker » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:58 am

Congratulations and WELCOME to the journey of HOD. I just wanted to chime in here that we just made our switch mid year. It took me a while to get the nerve up to mkae the switch but I couldn't be happier!!!! We have only done 2 weeks but here are a few comments from one of my twins-he is 11 and doing CTC- "school is fun" "I like this new school" and then at the end of the day, we sometimes ask what the best part of their day was and he said "school"! My other twin didn't like it the first week, but this second week, he is getting into the swing of it and seems much happier! I am so glad I switched for many reasons-but most of all, it is working. They were doing as much school before CTC in our other curriculum, yet they both are finishing their work! It's been the best homeschooling decision I have made in homeschooling and I have beenhomeschooling for almost 11 years.
So, I think you made a good decision! I look forward to hearing from you once you start to see how things are going!
pam
Pam , Married to my best friend for 17 years
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC
2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 ferret, 1 horse

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:28 am

cbenson29 wrote:I just wanted to thank everyone for all you help and advice! I had a great conversation with HOD today to. And....we are switching. We have ordered (yeah!) and I can't wait for it to get here! We are going to to CtC over a year and a half and include some of the readers from PHFHG in the first part. take it slow and see how if goes!

Thank you all and God Bless!
HOORAY! Be sure to share your box day with us here! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:29 am

igeagewalker wrote:Congratulations and WELCOME to the journey of HOD. I just wanted to chime in here that we just made our switch mid year. It took me a while to get the nerve up to mkae the switch but I couldn't be happier!!!! We have only done 2 weeks but here are a few comments from one of my twins-he is 11 and doing CTC- "school is fun" "I like this new school" and then at the end of the day, we sometimes ask what the best part of their day was and he said "school"! My other twin didn't like it the first week, but this second week, he is getting into the swing of it and seems much happier! I am so glad I switched for many reasons-but most of all, it is working. They were doing as much school before CTC in our other curriculum, yet they both are finishing their work! It's been the best homeschooling decision I have made in homeschooling and I have beenhomeschooling for almost 11 years.
So, I think you made a good decision! I look forward to hearing from you once you start to see how things are going!
pam
Pam - I just loved reading this! I am so glad your twins are off to a super start in CTC! These comments are priceless. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie