TRL Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
glperky

TRL Question

Post by glperky » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:18 pm

I just started TRL with my struggling reader that you ladies have been giving me with. I went through the book page by page to see where we needed to start. We started with Lesson Six and he has taken off. I think he was getting tired of CVC words. Anyway, I am wondering how you decide to move onto the next page or continue reviewing? Is that a :roll: kind of question? Probably so. :oops:
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

scampbell2003

Re: TRL Question

Post by scampbell2003 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:16 pm

That's great he has taken off glperky! We are just getting to lesson 6 and I am afraid of moving to it in fear of confusing my guy. So it's encouraging to hear your guy taking off :D
Samantha wife to Matt 11 years!

Mom to
Madison DD 10 5th grade Bigger Hearts
Colin DS 8 2nd grade Little Hearts
Logan DS 4 Pre PreK Little Hands
Evan DS almost 2

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:32 pm

We are doing a page a day.

You asked how you know when to move on? Is your child making a lot of mistakes? You might want to review some previous lessons, you reading and explaining, no pressure on him, just sit and listen to the stories as you sound out and read the stories.

I would think if he isn't making many or any mistakes you'd just move onto the next page.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:58 pm

If my daughter got through the page with just a little bit of help I move on. There is a lot of repetition and review, they don't have to do a page perfectly to move on IMO. I guess I just figured we go through the book, that's how we get somewhere. Again, there is enough material in each lesson that I don't think they need to repeat pages over and over.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:29 pm

For most of TRL we reviewed one page and then did one new page. About half to two thirds of the way through, we reviewed one page and then did two new pages. Towards the end we just did two to three new pages a day and only reviewed the occasional difficult page. It's fine to slow down when needed and review more and then speed back up when your child is ready.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

glperky

Post by glperky » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:15 am

Thanks ladies! :D
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

beckytrow

Post by beckytrow » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:36 am

We love TRL, we are missing some of the easy readers. So we do that in place of the easy readers. So we are on lesson 17. We did two pages a day when we first started. Now we do four or five pages a day.
Becky

Married for 10 years
DD 8 Finishing Beyond
DS 3 yrs.
DS Infant!
5 in heaven