Carrie: Beefing Up Chemistry in the Geography Guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
davisfam7

Carrie: Beefing Up Chemistry in the Geography Guide

Post by davisfam7 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi Carrie or anyone else who has a great idea,

I know that the Geography guide will have Integrated Physics and Chemistry for the science component. How could I beef it up to make it a full Chemistry credit. Would it be easier to just do a completely different program? Or is there a way to add to what is already there to make it a Chem credit worthy of 11th grade?? We have already done Chemistry with a different program, but a friend of mine is thinking about using HOD and the Geography guide for her rising 11th grader next school year and would like to use the guide as mush as possible. So that is what I am wondering about. Beefing Chem up or scratching the HOD plans and doing another program. I would appreciate any of your input. I am helping to homeschool my friends daughter this school year and through the rest of highschool. My friend has some serious health issues and this has allowed her daughter to be home with her and be helpful to her while still completeing her highschool studies. She is currently not using HOD so it has been a little difficult with her on a different page than my two older kiddos. She still needs a highschool Geography credit so we thought it would be easier for her to do the same HOD level that my kids will be doing, this will really help me to streamline our school days a LOT! Thanks for your time!
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

CrystalM

Re: Carrie: Beefing Up Chemistry in the Geography Guide

Post by CrystalM » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:05 pm

I know I'm not Carrie however I remembered there was a post she made during the MTMM sneak peeks that may be an answer to your question. The science in MTMM is Intro to Chemistry but not high school worthy unless you add the resources in her second post in the following thread. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10600

These additions may also help in building the Chemistry side of the science in the Geography guide as well.

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:58 am

Thanks Crystal, I looked at these and we used Carbon Chemistry and Chem 101 DVD's already. I didn't know since this was the combined Integrated Physics and Chemistry, if Carrie had any other recommendations. I get bored using the same thing two years in a row :wink: . I know it is totally my issue. But it would be nice to maybe use something different to keep my brain engaged, haha! On the other hand, I have already been through them so that might make it easier.
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm

If you've already used those resources, then I'm assuming that you can go ahead an award a HS credit for Chem 1. If so, there's no reason to do any of the chem in the Geography guide, and just do another science for that year.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks Motherjoy,
I am not using this for my children who have already done Chemistry, I will be using this for my friends daughter that I am homeschooling who will need Chemistry next year. She will be in 11th grade and will need a full Chemistry credit. Carbon Chemistry is written for 9-14 yo's, and the Chemistry 101 DVD's are great, but we need a lab component for this credit. So I was wondering if Carrie or someone else with older's had used a Chem program that was easy to implement at home. I should also say that my older two did Chemistry with a co-op, so all the labs were not done at home.
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Note: I have NOT used this. I have only looked at it for my daughter, but Friendly Chemistry looked very "doable".
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks 8arrows, I just checked it out and it looks very doable!!
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC

kayrenee

Post by kayrenee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:34 am

davisfam7 wrote:Thanks Motherjoy,
I am not using this for my children who have already done Chemistry, I will be using this for my friends daughter that I am homeschooling who will need Chemistry next year. She will be in 11th grade and will need a full Chemistry credit. Carbon Chemistry is written for 9-14 yo's, and the Chemistry 101 DVD's are great, but we need a lab component for this credit. So I was wondering if Carrie or someone else with older's had used a Chem program that was easy to implement at home. I should also say that my older two did Chemistry with a co-op, so all the labs were not done at home.
My 11th grade dd is doing the Chem 101 DVDs right now. It's fairly light and I definitely want to add something else to it because it isn't going to take nearly the amount of time they say it should (which is why I'm following this thread), but I did want to mention the fact that the DVD course does include labs. There's a syllabus included with quizzes, field trip ideas, additional reading suggestions, and experiments. The student is supposed to watch the experiments worked out on the DVD, and then go do them herself. So far it's been pretty easy, but enjoyable, and I'm counting it as a lab course. I do want to add a little more than what's there, though, because it doesn't feel "meaty" enough.

But you've done the DVD course with an older student... Did you not think the experiments were enough to count as labs?
Blessed mom of 3 daughters: college student, 11th, and 7th grades
John 15:5 Academy