Singpore math in Bigger ? facts or no facts ?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rockridgegal

Singpore math in Bigger ? facts or no facts ?

Post by rockridgegal » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Hello all !!!

I am on unit 16 day 1 in Bigger and also in Singapore 2A about to go into 2B....My 9 y.o. son is still counting ! I am not sure at this stage if that is ok or not ?? He is getting the concepts of Multiplication and just now getting into division. But STILL counts.... if it says 9x2 = ? He will still add nine 2's or 2 9's is this ok ?
He is also with division when it says 18 divided by 2 = ? he will draw 18 somethings and still divide them into 2 groups and then come up with the answer .
The answers are usually right so do I try and say try it this way with math facts or mental math or what ?
I am just not confident that I am teaching him the way that Singapore is intended and don't want to mess up his Math skills at this point.I have already purchased the Preparing hearts and love the program you have and want to do it to the best of my ability and meet his needs.
I have to read most of the instructions to him because he is still a struggling reader ...

Thanks for the insight ...HELP !!!!

Kim

LovingJesus

Re: Singpore math in Bigger ? facts or no facts ?

Post by LovingJesus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:19 pm

It sounds to me like he is really 'understanding math'. I have used 1A thru 3A with Singapore, and in my mind this is one of the main points of Singapore and one of their strengths. Singapore teaches the concepts of math, and it sounds like he understands it well. Multiplication is indeed the addition of multiple numbers, and division is indeed dividing things up into groups.

For us I did start math fact drills at some point. They do them in the class room in Singapore. I have used various things for the math drills, but we do them daily. My ds9 does them for multiplication, addition, and subtraction. I probably should add division since he is about ready to start 3B. My ds7 does them in addition and subtraction. I have no idea if other moms do these with Singapore with HOD. We are fairly new to HOD, but I have been using Singapore for years. I think of them as the one thing that is important to add since Singapore is so good at teaching concepts, but doesn't have a lot of math fact practice.

I hope this helps.

Carin

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 pm

my daughter counted for 2 more years and even tho we did drills last year she relies on counting in some occasions this year. From all I have heard its ok because seh understands the core of why it works this way which really helps her with number line counting and graphs.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 pm

my daughter counted for 2 more years and even tho we did drills last year she relies on counting in some occasions this year. From all I have heard its ok because seh understands the core of why it works this way which really helps her with number line counting and graphs.
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

agstefko

Post by agstefko » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 pm

I have the HIG for 2A we are finishing up multiplication for 2's and 3's. They don't say you have to have them all down by memory but they should be able to learn most by memory and be able to quickly figure out the ones they don't have by memory. I am doing Beyond with my ds and using SM 2A and B this year so I went ahead and got the HIG since I don't have the Bigger manuel with Carrie's suggestions and it has been helpful. They have lots of extra games and ideas to use along with the books so that may be something extra you might want to pick up. :)
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

kayrenee

Post by kayrenee » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:15 am

Yes, you need to drill the facts. Even in Singapore, they don't use "just" the books. They drill the facts, and they do the hands-on activities to support the concepts in the book. Singapore isn't complete without drilling. I think they just expect you to do that since it's what they do over there.
Blessed mom of 3 daughters: college student, 11th, and 7th grades
John 15:5 Academy

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Ok ! Thanks Ladies !!

Sounds like he will be doing some drills ! I will research some computer type drill games and see how it goes ! Thanks so much for the help and again glad to know he is in line and counting for now is ok as long as drills are being worked on .

Kim

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:22 pm

We are exactly the same spot in Singapore, and I was wondering the same thing. Some of the facts he has down and some he doesn't. We only have 2 days left of 2A. I looked through 2B yesterday, and the first 12 exercises are addition and subtraction. My son has thrived learning math this way without having to rely on memory. He's learned most of his addition facts without any drills, but I'm a little worried that multiplication facts harder to learn.

I'm not sure who it was, but somebody on the board suggested having them write out their math facts. I think I'm going to have him do this for daily practice. This will be like his copy work. I'll have the problems and answers on a card or sheet for him to write out everyday.
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Tracee ...

I think I am going to do the copy sheet as well and see if that helps ... I may start with the multiplication facts first and just drill the 0, 1, 2 and 3 first ..

Let me know how it goes for you ... :D

Kim

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:05 pm

I agree with kayrenee, you really need to drill those math facts. Singapore math is not really complete by itself, at least not in Singapore. They do add drill to the core math program.

I like Xtramath.com (computer based drill) and CalcuLadder (pen and paper drill).

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Kim,

One thing I've discovered after having my son go all the way through Singapore Primary 6B and now working in Singapore's Discovering Math in 8th grade is that kiddos will learn many of their facts on their own simply by heading through the Singapore math program. So, while in the public school system, kiddos are often required to memorize their addition facts by 2nd grade and multiplication facts by 3rd grade, this isn't necessarily the best way to go about it. :D

Since your child is 9, I would at that point be looking to make sure that he has his addition facts down, but I wouldn't be drilling the multiplication facts at this stage. The reason is that Singapore will really hit those facts over and over as you head through 2B and 3A and at the 2A/2B stage of Singapore math multiplication is still pretty new. So, it is a good idea to let the kiddos just do what is in the textbook/workbook combo. at those levels and worry about drilling the facts later (around 3B or so) after the kiddos have had a chance to just learn and internalize the process first. They also then understand better why it's important to know their facts! :wink:

We found with our next two boys in line that they were able to learn many of the facts just through their daily work in Singapore. Then, the "drilling" only became a few facts rather than a stack of them. :D

So, my advice would be to make sure to work on any needed addition facts now, and hold off until the end of 3B to consider drilling multiplication facts. :D I will say that we have had our boys do a skip counting CD of songs to help them learn to skip count (as that is wonderful help for long division and factoring later), however, I consider that to be different than typical fact drilling. So, you may find your own area of comfort in this area, I just wouldn't go overboard! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:00 pm

My kids have "drilled" using online things like TimezAttack...it now has all four operations and is free! Shepardsoftware.com is also good for online facts practice. We have never done flashcards at all...blech! :wink:

My daughter just doesn't have her facts down and likely never will...she has some challenges but truly and deeply "gets" the concepts even if it takes her longer to finish. She can break apart numbers and do mental math fairly well, extremely well considering she is my "math challenged" kid (and compared to kids using non-conceptual programs/public school math!!). My oldest son, however, is more mathy, is excellent at mental math and is learning his facts by osmosis. Also never drilled. They will both be allowed to use the multiplication chart as needed with work involving multiplication (after he knows the concept well!). I like how that lets them see the correctly given fact ( like 9x2=18) in print so that they get it imprinted in their minds over and over. Kinda similar to studied dictation. If I were to do the copywork of facts, I think I'd have them do it studied dictation style the first day, then the following day as copywork...then alternating the two methods until those facts were down pat.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:20 pm

OK ! Thanks so much Carrie and Tamara ...... Thats helps a lot ! I tried a drill sheet with him the other day and he had a complete melt down ! So no math drill sheets in this house for now. I feel like you have answered my question, which was basically is it ok for them to work out problems in multiplication instead of just memorize them and write the answers . I feel so much better now knowing that he can work them out to his hearts content and know that he is understanding the concept.

I never worked on addition drills being this was my first year used HOD and will try and start working on those .

Carrie looking forward to meeting you hopefully in Winston Salem and thanks again so much for blessing my family with your awesome program . I have a struggling reader and overall student who I call a " sizzler " and this program really works for him . God bless you !!!!

Kim

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:39 am

Thank y'all so much for this helpful discussion. I am facing the same problems with my ds8 (almost 9). Carrie, I would love to know which skip counting cd you used.
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

rockridgegal

Post by rockridgegal » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Me too Carrie .....