Is Singapore Primary Enough?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LovingJesus

Is Singapore Primary Enough?

Post by LovingJesus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:20 pm

The only thing I add to Singapore Primary is math fact drills.

I am wondering if other moms add any of the following:
Test Books? Intensive Practice? Challenging Word Problems? Extra Practice books? A second math program? Home Instructor's Guide?

My ds9 (3rd grade) is currently finishing up 3A and moving to 3B, and my ds7 (2nd grade) is currently finishing up 1B and moving to 2A. They have both used Singapore from 1A.

I am wondering from those of you who have a lot more years experience with Singapore how this turns out with Singapore Primary on its own. Are they well prepared for Algebra in the end? Math facts solid?

Do you add anything?

Thank you!
Carin
Last edited by LovingJesus on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

LovingJesus

Re: Do you add to Singapore Primary?

Post by LovingJesus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 am

Bumping myself: I am wondering if Singapore Primary is enough. I Love 'how' it teaches math. I am aware though that other programs have more practice in them. I want Singapore to be enough, but have doubts about it from time to time. My boys are doing great with it. But...

Is Singapore enough?

Motherjoy

Re: Is Singapore Primary Enough?

Post by Motherjoy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:23 pm

We add Life of Fred on occasion, but I've found that Singapore Primary is plenty. I mean, I might add Ina math activity that I find on pinterest, but that is all for fun. :)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:31 pm

The only thing I've ever added is math fact drill. I feel like the workbook and textbook alone is enough for most kids. I *might* consider adding one of the Extra Practice books if I felt a particular child needed more review.

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:00 pm

We started out in Kindergarten with MIquon, but switched to SM in 1st grade. We've done the HOD activities, textbook and workbooks. We read some math literature/picture books in the early years and played lots of fun games like Swamp math. We spent a little extra time using Time Tales to help with our times tables, but in retrospect I don't think that was necessary. I think what really solidified their times tables was using them. Over the summer, they did LIfe of Fred fractions for fun. So that is what we have done so far. We're finishing up 6B right now and I think they are well prepared to move into pre-algebra/algebra now. We are required to test every year and both my dc have placed many grades ahead in math each year. I think SM primary is a very solid program and coupled with the hands on activities in the HOD guide, it is fantastic. My dc have thrived with it! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:25 pm

My oldest is soon to finish up primary and will go right into pre algebra from there. It is solid amd will prepare them extremely well without a single addition at all. We dont even have facts down but she can manipulate numbers and calculate mentally very well. My next kids are in Essentials Kindy B amd 3A. Im very pleased with Singapore!!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling