Need help with choosing for multiple children

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
schultzjen13

Need help with choosing for multiple children

Post by schultzjen13 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm thinking about next fall, and I'm looking for some advice. My twins will be ten and will be doing CTC. My daughter, who will be 7 and in second grade could probably place in Bigger, but would probably do better with Beyond. I'm not using HOD with her this year. I will also be adding my five-year-old son into the mix as a kindergartner. I really can't imagine using three different guides- I think I'd go crazy. Would I do my 7-year-old a huge disservice to put her in LHFHG with my kindergartner, but then supplement her time with reading, math, and maybe science? Thanks for any advice offered!
DD11 - Creation to Christ
DS11 - Creation to Christ
DD7 - Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory
DS5 - Little Hearts for His Glory
DD3 - Having fun!

igeagewalker

Re: Need help with choosing for multiple children

Post by igeagewalker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:32 pm

HI, I don't have much advice to offer since I only began using HOd but I wanted to bump this up to the top for others to see. I have 11 year old twin boys who just starting using CTC (they just turned 11 in Jan.) and then two older children -13 year old and 16 year old both homeschooling. As for as combining the 7 year old and the Kindergarten child, I think it would depend on the skill level of the 2nd grader. If she is reading and writing pretty well, I think it would be hard to have her go down to a Kindergarten level. I haven't done a HOD guide at the Kindergarten level but I can imagine it wouldn't take much time. Thus, doing three guide might be doable? Just a thought.
Hope you get some more responses!
Pam
Pam , Married to my best friend for 17 years
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC
2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 ferret, 1 horse

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:20 pm

I did the opposite, I put my K with my 2nd grader in Beyond. She was an old K though (6 in Nov.). I figured if she didn't do well she could always repeat the guide later, but they are both doing well. We did take it slow and will finish up over the summer or the beginning of next year. I know I do a better job with the least possible guides to cover everyone.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

schultzjen13

Post by schultzjen13 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm hoping to hear some more people chime in. Has anyone else has this issue, and what did you do? I'm thinking more and more that it would not be a good thing to have my daughter do LHFHG, as it wouldn't challenge her. But, I'm still nervous with the thought of having three different guides!
DD11 - Creation to Christ
DS11 - Creation to Christ
DD7 - Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory
DS5 - Little Hearts for His Glory
DD3 - Having fun!

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:30 pm

When does she turn 7?

I would say that you could get the Beyond manual and do the right side of that manual (as in language arts and math), and combine your dc in the left side of LHFHG. As long as she's at her level in the 3Rs, I think she will be challenged enough. You could add the Beyond storytime if you wanted to give her some more listening - and repeat it next year with a different book pack. (We have read nearly all the Beyond book pack books and have loved them all!).

18 months ago I had a just turned 7 year-old and 5 year-old, and I chose to put the 7 year-old in Bigger half-speed and the younger in LHFHG. My older girl, who is a perfectionist and easily distracted took forever doing the notebooking and all the writing required for Bigger - even half speed. By the second semester we gave up on Bigger, and I combined her with her sister in LHFHG. We added supplemental titles from the back of LHFHG, my older daughter was ready for DITHOR, which was a good challenge for her, and she did copywork of poetry (like in Beyond, but I let her pick a poem from an anthology I had). She also did spelling from Beyond (eventually dictation from the Bigger manual) and we continued Rod and Staff 2 & math at her level. Both she and I have loved how the combining went. My girls really enjoy doing things together & our day is definitely more streamlined than if they were in 2 different guides. We are now most of the way through Beyond and continue to love how it is going.

However, that's just our experience. I know on this board there are many who have found "uncombining" to be better for their family. I would say, jump in and try combining (or uncombining if you prefer), and see how it goes. You will know if you've made the wrong choice after a few weeks!
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!