DITHOFR placement

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
onlybygrace

DITHOFR placement

Post by onlybygrace » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:16 pm

I currently have one dd of school age who struggles with reading. We have worked through many brain training and reading interventions. She has significant auditory processing issues and seems to be dyslexic. She loved LHFHG for K, but was unable to complete phonics, or really even make a good start. We switched to MFW for 1st- not a good move for us. Back to BLHFHG for 2nd and loved it! We did Dianne Craft for reading starting half way through the year because she was totally over her head with the emerging reader set. This year, we are loving BHFHG, and the emerging reader set is a challenge but she is enjoying it. Narration remains a challenge, though much improved from last year and this past fall. Her writing is much better. We follow the guide almost exactly and it is perfect! She loves to read to her little brother who loves to listen.
To my question, I am uneasy about her ability to handle DITHOFR next year. I have already purchased the manual with level 2/3 student book and a level 2 book pack. Any suggestions on pacing or what to do?
With grammar and math, which this year she has written work that I think she could do while I do something else, she wants me to sit with her. When I do, she stays on task and is finished much more quickly and usually without tears. If I try to work near her in the kitchen, but not sit right with her, she seems unable to stay on task and is frustrated very easily.
Thanks for any help!

onlybygrace
mommy to dd 8 and ds 3
loved LHFHG, BLHFHG and loving BHFHG
Wife to an amazing husband
Mom to 3 blessings on earth
dd - LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM now
ds - LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG now
ds 3 1/2 - excited to do it all!

Molly

Re: DITHOFR placement

Post by Molly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 pm

If she has finished the emerging readers it seems a natural progression to go to DITHOR. However, I would work closely with her doing the book work and probably do the hand writing aspect for her provided she is giving the answers.

In terms of sitting with her. I have children who like me to sit with them too. I try to oblige when I can. They are all aware I have to deal with other children but I do try to do it for each of them. My oldest does most of her work independently but she still likes me to be there while she is doing any writing for grammar or math. I think it is a bit of a security thing which they will grow out of, so I don't mind it.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH