2 in one guide at different units

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

2 in one guide at different units

Post by Gwenny » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 pm

I just had a realization a few minutes ago. I have one daughter that will be on unit 23 of Preparing when another daughter will be ready to start Preparing. Yikes! I can't believe I didn't think of that before. Has anyone shared before like this? Do you think I should just get another guide?
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

lapeseven

Re: 2 in one guide at different units

Post by lapeseven » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:36 am

I'm going to run into that situation next year. My older daughter will be half way through Rev to Rev when the younger daughter finishes up Res to Ref. I don't see a problem. In fact, I'm purposely choosing this option. My older dd will be using some extensions and the advanced science option since I'm beefing it up some for high school. She has never used a Charlotte Mason approach and struggled with learning difficulties in school. I don't want her doing the same exact thing as her younger sister as she, after poor treatment in public school, tends to compare herself to others. Her younger sis is a natural reader and has used two (beginning three) HOD programs in the past. At this point I am sensitive to the fact that the older dd needs to have her confidence and skills built up. Eventually my oldest will skip the World Geography as she already will have earned that credit. I didn't want to start the oldest dd in a more advanced guide that would have asked her to use skills she hasn't developed yet. I wouldn't get a different guide unless you need to because the skill level needs adjusting for one of your daughters.
Cathy

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:49 am

I wasn't very clear with my post. :) I have them like this, just like you, because I needed the older one to have to feel badly for being in the same guide as the younger one. I wouldn't change it, it's been good. I think it would be difficult to have two combined anyway. I don't like one having to wait on the other. Also, the way I tend to work is that when I'm ready to work with someone I need to do it now and if they both needed to be free to work that would drive me crazy. :)

My real question, that I didn't state well, was should I buy another Preparing guide? The both do things independently and will it be difficult and will they "fight over" the guide. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:40 am

I wouldn't, but I would schedule them out where they are doing their independent stuff at different times.

But really, it's not that big of a deal to buy another one if you think it'll save some fighting!

Molly

Post by Molly » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:55 am

I would get another guide. I think when you are working with one and needing the guide and the other is working on independent work, you will start to have issues. I know myself I struggled having two in the same guide together in the one unit. When they were doing independent work they had to share the guide, and occasionally it was an issue, but they were on the same unit so all their teacher work was done together and there wasn't an issue there. I think for ease it would be best to have two guides.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

lapeseven

Post by lapeseven » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Ahh... sorry about the misunderstanding. :oops: I never thought about the fact that two in the same guide at different places could be difficult. I probably will try it with one guide, bookmarking the two places to easily flip back and forth, just to see if it's chaos or if I can make it work. But I'm a cheapskate that would rather buy more books than duplicate guides, lol. :)
Cathy

beverett

Post by beverett » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:11 am

I think it is funny to come here and see your question! I was just thinking yesterday how PLEASED I was that i decided to go ahead and spend the extra money and get a 2nd guide this year for CTC. I have 2 sons in this guide...one is half speed and the other is full speed. It has been very pleasant for us!!! They do not have to wait on each other and I do not have to wait on one to finish using a guide so that I can go over the others work with them or check what they have finished!! In my opinion if you can afford it, then it is TOTALLY worth it to get each child their own guide! :D :D ....but if it is not in the budget then I bet there is a nice way to make it work. Hope this helps! :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Beverett,
Would you buy another one if it was only for about 13 units or so? I know for sure i would for the whole thing.

I can afford it, but of course I would rather buy other books with it if it's not really going to change my life. :)

Thanks!
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:48 pm

I do think 2 guides is very nice, for CTC on up for sure, in this situation. The guides begin to act as student planners as well as teacher guides, starting with PHFHG, and especially for CTC through MTMM. For a whole year, I would get two guides. For 13 units, I'm not sure. I think I would actually take the guide apart, in this case. Separating the last 13 units from the first units, and giving the last 13 to older student. Then, they'd each have their own "books," and it would be no big deal for your younger student to switch to the last "13 units book" when he got there. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

beverett

Post by beverett » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Yes, I agree with Julie! I am sorry, you did mention that one child was in unit 23 in your first post.... so in that case I think Julie's idea is a good one. Maybe put it into 2 binders in page protectors, then it will be easy to put it back together for your next in line. I could also think of other things (books :D ) to buy with the money if it would only be useful for 13 weeks! Fun, fun...
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks ladies! Good idea!
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG