Question about placement for a high schooler

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jeffchastain

Question about placement for a high schooler

Post by jeffchastain » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi Carrie,
I have a 9th grade daughter. She is taking World History this year. She will definately be using HOD next year (for 10th grade). I was thinking about putting her in the New World Geography Guide, but then I realized that the following guide is World History. I am uncertain as to where to place her because she has already had World History. She still needs American History, Gov and Ec.and all sciences except Biology which she is taking this year. Please tell me what you placement you think would work best for her, and any other recommendations you may have.

Blessings,
Tracy :D

ktplus4

Re: Question about placement for a high schooler

Post by ktplus4 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:26 pm

I have an almost identical situation with my son....Will love to read the feedback :)

- Katy

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi, Tracy! Welcome to HOD! You will absolutely LOVE using HOD with your high schooler. I will give you my best advice and I'm sure you'll hear from others as well to weigh your options. Given your specific situation, I would start your 10th grader next year in Rev2Rev for the 1st half of American History, then 11th use MtMM for the second half of American History, then the Geography Guide for 12th Grade. With using the recommendations to beef up Rev2Rev and MtMM AND adding in the Extension books, the study becomes high school credit worthy. I am doing Rev2Rev with my 9th grader this year with Extensions and beefing up here and there as Carrie has recommended. It is keeping her busy and she is learning lots - as am I! :D

You can beef up the Rev2Rev study to count for a Government credit and then add to the Economics study scheduled in MtMM in order to give HS Econ credit that year. That would cover those bases.

As far as Science goes, you can either pick your own science based on her preferences...
Or... you could borrow science next year from the Geography Guide which counts as Integrated Physics and Chemistry high school credit. This is what we are doing. So, we will go ahead and purchase the Geography Guide and the Science even though we won't be using the whole year yet. I know we will use it in the future, so I don't mind spending the money on the Guide now.
Or...you could beef up the Science in the MtMM Guide and count it as an Intro to Chemistry credit...
Or...The science in Rev2Rev is credit worthy if you use the Advanced version and would count as Physical Science.

You would make a decision based upon your state's science requirements and her personal interest level in science.

I hope this helps. Ask more questions if this totally confused you! :)
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

jeffchastain

Post by jeffchastain » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Tiffini,
Thanks so much for your lengthy reply... it was extremely helpful! I am going to go take a look at those options right now.
I may be back with questions. lol!
Blessings,
Tracy :D