You Time

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
glperky

Re: You Time

Post by glperky » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:21 am

arstephia~I love your post! It is so true and a great reminder. Thank you.
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

blessedmama

Post by blessedmama » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 pm

arstephia ~ great thought to chew on. I for sure have been there where I thought I needed or deserved a "chunk" of me time. I like the perspective that you shared and I can't wait to read that article during my next "Me Time"! Ahhhhh...that truly was great! Thanks!
Saved by Grace,
Sara D.

Wife of DH for 13 years! Mother to my four wonderful blessings from the Lord (DD 11; DS 10; DS 9; DD 7)

mom23

Post by mom23 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:08 pm

arstephia wrote:Okay, honesty time - I struggled with the You Time for a couple of years and after reading an article I came to the conclusion that I was making a bit of an idol of "Me Time" in that I wanted a Calgon moment. (Calgon, take me away... kwim?) and I was looking at all of the work before me (school, home, kids, etc.) as infringements on "My Time." I was being horrible. I read this article in 2008 and it changed my perspective. I bookmarked it so I could reread it from time to time as a reminder.
http://www.thehomeschoolmagazine-digita ... b4ug7#pg35

I don't know where I got the idea that I deserved this chunk of time. Chunk is the key word. Instead of relishing the 10 minutes I have here and there to check an hs board, facebook, have some tea, etc., I would be resentful that it was ONLY 10 minutes. When I turned my thinking around and found myself to be THANKFUL for those 10 minutes, I found a lot more little snippets of "me time" to be found in my day. My interruptions (kids) were no longer interrupting my time, they were allowing me to have some when they were in their rooms or outside or playing happily together for a few minutes. So I think perspective is key, and good management of time is another.

That said, I now also run. I get 3-4 miles in 5 days a week. That gives me 30-40 minutes. It gives me exercise and mental time to think through my day and obligations and to pray - I love talking to God while running. HOWEVER, my two oldest kids (12 and 14) now want to run with me! :shock: So a couple times a week I have company and I am once again on the clock, but I love it.

So yes, we need to have some time to get our heads cleared, have some down time, and take care of ourselves. But, we must not fall into a false thinking that that time should be some large chunk. We need to embrace the small windows of blessing we get as well and use them profitably instead of resentful that it isn't more.
Loved your article! Thank you.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:32 pm

AHHH! I need a fair share of "me" time to stay sane. SERIOUSLY!

I sing with a professional choral group, and that gets me out for several hours one night a week plus performances. I also have to practice my music a lot at home.

We share a home with grandparents. So I get up earlier and meet friends for coffee in the morning while the kids are still asleep and am back in time to make them breakfast.

I have discussed my need for time away from the house with hubby, and he is very supportive. So, I will text him during the day and let him know that I am going to need an hour or two when he gets home from work to go for coffee and just sit there with my laptop.

I also teach art one day a week at a homeschool co-op. I teach all day on Tuesdays. Since I was a teacher before, this fills a need in me to teach other people's kids while allowing me to still teach mine at home.

I also go visit my mom in Tennessee (I'm in GA) without the kids every few months. The gparents and daddy take care of the kids.

I am very fortunate to have family support to make this me time possible.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:20 pm

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. Luke 5:16

When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns. Matt. 14:13

Aware of this, Jesus withdrew from that place. Many followed him, and he healed all their sick, 16 warning them not to tell who he was. Matt. 12:15-16

Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. Matt. 15:21

Jesus withdrew with his disciples to the lake, and a large crowd from Galilee followed. Mark 3:7

When the apostles returned, they reported to Jesus what they had done. Then he took them with him and they withdrew by themselves to a town called Bethsaida, but the crowds learned about it and followed him. He welcomed them and spoke to them about the kingdom of God, and healed those who needed healing. Luke 9:10-11

Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself. John 6:15

Therefore Jesus no longer moved about publicly among the Jews. Instead he withdrew to a region near the desert, to a village called Ephraim, where he stayed with his disciples. John 11:54

I have the same need to withdraw, sometimes to lonely places, and sometimes to places with those I love and care for deeply. It clears my head and helps me be able to face the next day, or the next temptation, or the next challenge, stronger. How I have withdrawn has varied through the years. It is difficult to do with little ones, and even more difficult to do with health concerns. However, it is still possible to do - even if "withdrawing" is in my own bathroom in the bathtub for a bit, or walking on my stretch of the road in the country, or exercising at home to a video, or reading in my bed for 15 minutes - it is still withdrawing that I need. :wink: Other times, withdrawing has been with other adults, other times with my dh, and still other times with my own dc. Respite from the daily grind to focus on what is good in life, helps me be more joyful, and our whole family benefits from that. Likewise, I can find God's hand at work in my life more easily, and hopefully, when others have been around me to see me, to hear what I have to say, or to read what I have to say in written form when they are "around me" via some form of technology, they can see the joy I have as being a child of the King. So, withdraw - somehow - rejuvenate, refresh, refocus - and come back stronger for the Lord. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:20 pm

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. Luke 5:16

When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns. Matt. 14:13

Aware of this, Jesus withdrew from that place. Many followed him, and he healed all their sick, 16 warning them not to tell who he was. Matt. 12:15-16

Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. Matt. 15:21

Jesus withdrew with his disciples to the lake, and a large crowd from Galilee followed. Mark 3:7

When the apostles returned, they reported to Jesus what they had done. Then he took them with him and they withdrew by themselves to a town called Bethsaida, but the crowds learned about it and followed him. He welcomed them and spoke to them about the kingdom of God, and healed those who needed healing. Luke 9:10-11

Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself. John 6:15

Therefore Jesus no longer moved about publicly among the Jews. Instead he withdrew to a region near the desert, to a village called Ephraim, where he stayed with his disciples. John 11:54

I have the same need to withdraw, sometimes to lonely places, and sometimes to places with those I love and care for deeply. It clears my head and helps me be able to face the next day, or the next temptation, or the next challenge, stronger. How I have withdrawn has varied through the years. It is difficult to do with little ones, and even more difficult to do with health concerns. However, it is still possible to do - even if "withdrawing" is in my own bathroom in the bathtub for a bit, or walking on my stretch of the road in the country, or exercising at home to a video, or reading in my bed for 15 minutes - it is still withdrawing that I need. :wink: Other times, withdrawing has been with other adults, other times with my dh, and still other times with my own dc. Respite from the daily grind to focus on what is good in life, helps me be more joyful, and our whole family benefits from that. Likewise, I can find God's hand at work in my life more easily, and hopefully, when others have been around me to see me, to hear what I have to say, or to read what I have to say in written form when they are "around me" via some form of technology, they can see the joy I have as being a child of the King. So, withdraw - somehow - rejuvenate, refresh, refocus - and come back stronger for the Lord. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Funny just last week a speaker came to our church parenting group I've written an over view here:
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/2013/ ... rench.html

he was speaking on Anxiety in teens and how we as parents often create it. I loves his take on what "Me Time" from a biblical perspective looks like.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

blessedmama

Post by blessedmama » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Julie, I love those verses. Even our Savior needed the coveted "Me Time".

Great thoughts everyone!
Saved by Grace,
Sara D.

Wife of DH for 13 years! Mother to my four wonderful blessings from the Lord (DD 11; DS 10; DS 9; DD 7)