Intended R&S sequence

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jer2911mom

Intended R&S sequence

Post by jer2911mom » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi,

I wanted to see if I understand the intended R&S sequence correctly:

Bigger - R&S 2
Preparing - R&S 3
CTC - R&S 4
RTR - R&S 5
Rev2Rev - R&S 6 (1/2)
MTMM - R&S 6 (1/2)

Is that correct?

Is this intended sequence the same regardless of whether or not you start Bigger in 2nd or in 3rd? If you use Beyond for 2nd, was it intended for R&S 2 to be an option with Beyond? And then R&S 3 with Bigger in 3rd? I'm thinking not since R&S 3 is not an option in that guide? Was the original intent to use R&S 2 with Bigger regardless of grade?

Thanks!
Kathy

Motherjoy

Re: Intended R&S sequence

Post by Motherjoy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:13 am

Beyond has grammar built into it without the need for R&S. :)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:04 am

I am curious too Kathy, so I am listening in. :D

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:39 pm

Ladies,

This thread may help. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8514 There is a link within it to another thread in which Carrie addresses R&S sequence questions.

Kathy,

Personally, I think English 2 is very very easy. :mrgreen: I'd definitely use it in 2nd grade unless it wasn't a good fit for my child for some reason. I like the idea of being completely done with English 4 at the end of 4th grade so that you can then slow down English to half speed and shift teaching/learning efforts toward writing. That is my opinion, not based on experience. 8)
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
2019-2020 plans
Jax DS17 HOD subjects: US1 Lit + US2 LL + IPC
Logan DS15 MtMM + extensions
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:11 am

Thanks for the links, Katrina! I knew I had seen threads on this before, but when I searched, I wasn't finding what I was looking for. In the thread that was linked from the thread you linked, Carrie wrote this:

"With our new ancients guide, we plan to recommend for one level of grammar (your choice of either Rod and Staff English 4 or 5) to be spread out over 2 years by doing 2 lessons a week. After spreading either Level 4 or 5 out over 2 years, the child would do the remaining levels of Rod and Staff English at full-speed (4 days a week) to complete Rod and Staff 6 by the end of grade 8."

So, it sounds like the intended progression is different than what I typed above. I think it is supposed to be:

Bigger - R&S 2
Preparing - R&S 3
CTC - R&S 4 (1/2)
RTR - R&S 4 (1/2)
Rev2Rev - R&S 5
MTMM - R&S 6

Is that what most of you are doing, then? Is there a certain level of grammar needed before doing the writing programs, like WWTB?

We have been using CLE LA 200 this year with Beyond to finish up our phonics work (for spelling moreso than reading). I really like it for the phonics work for spelling and it has helped my dd a lot. But it is intense and I think we are getting to the point of burnout with it. I don't like having tests and quizzes at this age. I am trying to decide if we should finish it out or jump to R&S 2 now, or wait until next year. I am thinking we would be ready for R&S 3 next year. Has anyone moved from CLE LA 200 to R&S who can tell me what they did and how it worked out?

Thanks,
Kathy

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:39 am

Kathy,

Here is where I asked about R&S and WWTB. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11964

I think you should do whatever you are comfortable with Kathy. I would start on grade level so if your DD is starting Bigger in 3rd grade with CLE2 behind her then go to English 3. In a way, I do think it is nice to have English 4 done before CTC/5th grade because then you can focus more on composition with the additional writing program and shift attention to DITHR 4/5 which is more in depth.

ETA: My DD uses CLE LA and Math. You can skip those tests and quizzes. They are designed for a classroom anyway so a teacher of many can assess her students. You don't need a test like that to assess your daughter. I will definitely be shifting my daughter over to R&S and Carrie's spelling though. I love it! She loves CLE though so we will go ahead and keep with it thru 1st.
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
2019-2020 plans
Jax DS17 HOD subjects: US1 Lit + US2 LL + IPC
Logan DS15 MtMM + extensions
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks for the advice and the link, Katrina! I am really thinking R&S 3 is the way to go.

Kathy