MTMM ordering confusion

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4Hispraise

MTMM ordering confusion

Post by 4Hispraise » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:54 pm

So, if I want to use MTMM for a 9th grader, I do NOT order the basic package? Instead I order the EXTENSIONS? And then, I will not complete the Storytime box with him :cry: ? Help? Anyone?

Thanks! :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

Tabitha

Re: MTMM ordering confusion

Post by Tabitha » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:44 am

Huh. I had an answer, but am not sure in light of the storytime aspect.

Adding my interest, and looking forward to seeing the answer.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:57 am

Shelly,

For a 9th grader, you definitely need the extensions. The storytime books, however, are more optional for a 9th grader. This is because they are targeted more for the 7th and 8th graders. :D Although, I will say that I enjoyed reading them myself, so if you have an avid reader you wouldn't want to miss them. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:07 pm

We will be doing MtMM with my Freshman in the fall and I am ordering the extensions in place of the storytime...so, when my son would normally get to storytime in the guide, he will do his extension work instead. That said, I was a little confused by "doing storytime with him" - because starting in Rev to Rev, the storytime is really geared for the child to do alone.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Carrie & Rebecca,
Thank you for answering. I thought that was what I needed, but just wanted to make sure before I figure out my final order.

Yes, Rebecca, I know that the student is supposed to move towards independence in the Storytime box, but we have opted not to do this completely. We read the books aloud together and follow the directions in the box together because we enjoy our time together...and it is growing short. Four more years and this special time of schooling him will be over...and so we linger over our books. :D

But, next year...it will be that one more area that I relinquish completely. I have to say that I am so thankful that HOD has slowly prepared me for letting him go. :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:10 pm

I actually am having my son do both. Extension for 9th grade, but he also has to read the basic package books for his free time reading. He hasn't minded having both lists at all. He often will finish one of the basic package books over a weekend. Sometimes I squirrel them away so he stays within the correct time periods. The books are so good I don't want him missing them so we double dip.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:04 pm

That is what I've always done with the other guides. We did the basic set and the extensions. I never thought of it as an either/or when beefing it up. That is what caused a bit of my confusion. I guess you can select one over the other. I shall not tell my dd that now after all I've had her read in the past! :)
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:16 pm

Ladies,

Just to clarify, in the previous guides it has not been an either/or choice between storytime and extensions, as both were needed. This choice option is only true with MTMM since the extensions have moved into high school with MTMM. :D Even with MTMM, it still doesn't need to be an either/or choice. :D I know that I loved both sets and found them both valuable. It's just that the added rigor of other courses in high school may make the day go long if kiddos were required to do both storytime and extensions. This is why it is more of a choice at this level for extension range students. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks, Carrie. That info is very helpful and does clear up the question I had.

We're getting ready to order MtMM, and my dd is doing an 8th/9th grade mix (ending 1/2 of one, beginning 1/2 of the other).