We just can't catch a break!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

We just can't catch a break!

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:21 am

It's insane! We took time off when Penelope was born and lost our rhythm. We were doing half days mixed with full days to meet our goals before Christmas, then got the flu (still made our goals though!)... Never really got going again before Christmas. Had company after Christmas (not normal for us) so that put it off another week. Then it was Grace's birthday, so that made a short week.

I was planning on getting going full swing this week with everyone (just Jayden and Grace did school last week). Monday went great... Tuesday everyone woke up throwing up! AHHHHH :shock:

It has to end sometime right??

Kristen

Re: We just can't catch a break!

Post by Kristen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Oh, I hear ya! It does end! We had the flu after Thanksgiving and then around New Year's we all got the stomach bug. Ugh! It is miserable, but I figure maybe we got it all out of the way now? We are just getting back on track ourselves. Hang in there!

Kristen
ds17 - mostly textbooks, community college, and lots of hands-on projects
ds15 - an eclectic mix, sports, Scouts
ds9 - BHFHG, loves LEGOs

dd7 - LHFHG, loves taking care of her dolls, arts & crafts

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Hey! That's the beauty of homeschooling! :D

Just go page by page and don't fret. You'll get done. That's how we roll. :wink:
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:53 pm

As my sister always says.... When you can't reach your expectations.... Lower them

Then when everyone is healthy and motivated double up a few days :-) it will be all right...
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:25 pm

I don't think I can have lower expectations :shock: :lol:

No seriously, the only one I"m really concerned with is Jayden. Everyone else is fine where they are. Grace will be beginning Bigger in a few weeks, which means we are just doing khan academy videos for math, starting with dictation next week, AWANA, and finishing up the Emerging Readers (because I messed up and forgot about them a lot... she has two books left.) But since shes' mid-second grade age wise, and starting on Bigger, and we school year round I'm good with that. Julianna's mid-K and mid LHFHG... I'd be ok with her not finishing until the end of her first grade year, so I'm very much not concerned with her. And then we obviously have Evie, who I think I'll have two K years for her.

But Jayden is mid fourth grade, and only on unit 23 of Preparing. Which in theory would be fine, perfect even. But, she's been doing Preparing since January 16th 2012 (based on my blog post the 20th saying we just finished our first week)... So yes... we have literally taken a year to do 2/3 of a guide. We obviously cannot keep up with that pace. It has been fine so far because she really needed that extra time. But if we don't finish Preparing in the next 3-4 months and then stay on track the rest of the time, she won't finish all the guides before it's time for her to graduate!

I really don't see how people do it who only school during the school year and have other outside activities!! We do something on Wed night, Thursday morning, Thursday night, Saturday morning, and Sunday morning. So in theory we'd have four days free of doing school. In theory we should get through roughly three guides in two years. At least 2.5 guides.

UGH... I guess I'm just feeling rushed now that I"ve realized that having her finish Preparing by the end of 4th grade doesn't really give us wiggle room any more.

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 pm

We're in the same boat. My 10yo was sick for a month around Thanksgiving. Now my 12yo and 10yo are both sick. it's been a rough fall/winter so far for us.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

alydar

Post by alydar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Count us in on the "gettin' behind" trend. :roll: :lol: December 15 - We started school, managed about 15 minutes worth before DS said he didn't feel so well. That started a huge 3 week ordeal in our home. Everyone but myself got "it", whatever "it" was.

This week was the first time we could actually do something that somewhat resembled school. But I decided to make it an easy week - did skills only and then a light FIAR unit study. Simple. Hopefully we will get back into our regular routine next week. However, I still can't help but feel reeeaallly behind now. I know we won't be finishing any guides by the summer for sure. But I'm trying to remind myself that's the beauty of homeschool, HOD, and for us, year-round school. We'll finish when we finish and move on after that I guess. Trying to keep sunny-side mentality. :D :D :lol:
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1