LHFHG: how to organize student work

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
witheagerhands

LHFHG: how to organize student work

Post by witheagerhands » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:58 pm

We took a loooooooong break and are basically just getting started with LHFHG with my 6yo son. I am realizing that I have nothing to keep his work in! How did I miss that?!?! (oh, maybe it was something about having a baby?) I have these little drawers from Wally-World that are sort of like workboxes, with his different lessons in them, but I'm wondering how to keep up with the papers, drawings, crafts, etc that he does? These flimsy drawers don't really hold much, and he sees his sisters with their 3-ring binders.
What do you do?
Sally
http://31thirteen.blogspot.com
MG, 11yo -- Preparing * Extensions * DITHOR, Level 6/7/8 + MUS
EK, 8yo -- Beyond + Cheerful Cursive + MUS
HR, 6yo -- LHFHG + Happy Handwriting
SA, 3yo -- keepin' it lively!
OCJ -- She came! 10/13/12

raindrops

Re: LHFHG: how to organize student work

Post by raindrops » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:53 am

Well, we have a binder with seperate folders for science, math, phonics, bible, art... if he draws something super cute or writes one of his Burgess book assignments nicely, I just tape it up on the wall. Most of the crafts are edible or can fit in the folder, can't they? I can't think of one that we have just lyin' around. The projects aren't a problem... but the stack of books... I wish I had a bookshelf! We are adding on a playroom/ homeschool room right now that will have lots of shelves and closet space so that should help. (I actually have bookshelves, but have to keep the HOD books locked in my bedroom because a certain 2 year old gets them. Not good! Hope she outgrows the book destruction phase soon).
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:00 pm

We put what we can in clear sleeves in a large 3-ring binder. I do choose a sampling of the best to keep and throw the rest, especially for things like handwriting papers, fine motor skills papers, etc. We take pictures of the activities and things that don't fit in a binder, and put them on our digital photoframe for all to enjoy. :D I also like to share the pics in the HOD Weekly Check-In. :D One other thing we do is hang things on the fridge in a big magnetic clip to show Dad when he gets home. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:22 pm

We kept a binder with tabs for anything that would fit in it and then kept a plastic tub for artwork. I xeroxed anything that involved food so we had a picture of it but weren't keeping food stored anywhere. We also took pictures of the girls doing some of the activities and stored those with the binder in picture sleeves. I'll probably empty out the tub at some point, but I'm keeping it for now. At the end of each year we invite the grandparents over to see what we've done for the year and display the girls' work. The artwork is always a big hit.

HTH,
Kathy

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Good ideas ladies! I love the idea of snapping photos and inserting them into sleeves in the binder (or making a collage of them to print out for the binder). I also think I'll give the kids a bin for 3D projects and save them throughout the year, choosing a few special ones to keep long term and pitching the rest (photos will be taken for emotional children or parents though :mrgreen: ). Kathy's presentation to the grandparents is a wonderful idea and a GREAT way to recap the year together as a family. I'm chewing on that one.
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:27 pm

I use a big 3 ring binder for each child with dividers labeling each subject. At the end of each month, I file all work in there. I use one binder per child per year. Of course, they have their history and science notebooks as well.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

witheagerhands

Post by witheagerhands » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Thank you everyone! You've given me some great ideas!
Sally
http://31thirteen.blogspot.com
MG, 11yo -- Preparing * Extensions * DITHOR, Level 6/7/8 + MUS
EK, 8yo -- Beyond + Cheerful Cursive + MUS
HR, 6yo -- LHFHG + Happy Handwriting
SA, 3yo -- keepin' it lively!
OCJ -- She came! 10/13/12

Bramble

Post by Bramble » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:38 pm

I used a binder with the plastic sleeves pages. I forget what they are called!!

Lisa71887

Post by Lisa71887 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:10 am

I plan on doing the yearly binder/clear sleeve thing too. I also plan on getting a 4 drawer filing cabinet (lockable to avoid little hands getting in it!) and assign a drawer to each child. I'll hang a folder for each grade in each drawer. We chose the portfolio option as the form of assessment to the state every year so once I get my portfolio back from being reviewed I'll be filing them in the cabinet until each child's schooling is complete, just in case. They then can decide what to do with it all (though I'm sure I'll be sneaking a few treasured pieces out for myself LOL).
Happily married to my high school sweetheart and raising our 4 precious blessings
DD 1: age 5, LHTH
DD 2: age 3.5, LHTH

DS 1: age 2
DS 2: 6 months