Rod and Staff 7 and 8??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Heather4Him

Rod and Staff 7 and 8??

Post by Heather4Him » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:06 pm

SO, quick question to clarify:
If we do Rod and Staff English 7 and 8 for approximately grades 11 and 12 in high school, we will have covered all the necessary topics needed and usually covered in other 11 and 12 grade English classes? I just want to make sure, because I want to make the switch to Rod and Staff English at this point, and we are going into our 2nd semester of 10th grade. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

4Hispraise

Re: Rod and Staff 7 and 8??

Post by 4Hispraise » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Heather,
From what I have read, I believe you are correct. We are currently completing R&S 7 over two years and then will complete R&S 8 in the following year. From what I've seen, it is more than sufficient to have a thorough understanding of English grammar. HTH! :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:25 pm

To cover English Grammar, it is more than enough! :D Actually, R & S 7 and 8 cover far more grammar than the average high school student would ever cover. I have been so impressed by how thorough R & S English is through the years. We are in the middle of R & S English 6 now, and a newfound appreciation at this upper level is the succinct writing helps it teaches along the way. Outlining, taking notes, writing with details, oral reports - these are just a few of the topics that come to mind that have helped my ds become well-rounded in so many LA areas that would be easy to neglect. We will use 7 over 9th and 10th grade, and use 8 over 11th and 12th. I am thankful to have this base covered so well so easily. :D NOT that R & S English is EASY, but that it is easy to implement because of HOD's recommendation to do a good portion of it orally. That, and the pacing suggested by HOD - golden. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks Shelly and Julie!! That's what I thought, but I just wanted to confirm it before we start. :)

One more quick thing--I've heard that the R&S does NOT provide enough writing instruction, but I saw that it covers expository, descriptive, oral reports, etc. Since we are only going to get through HOD's geography guide for high school, (using MTMM next year for 11th and Geography for 12th), will we have enough writing instruction using HOD and Rod and Staff 7 and 8?
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Heather,

The ladies are so right that Rod and Staff 7 and 8 cover all your child will need for high school grammar and then some! My older sister was a high school creative writing, grammar, and lit. teacher, and she says that there are things in Rod and Staff 7 and 8 that she doesn't even remembering studying! :D She's been hugely impressed by Rod and Staff's rigor after making the switch from using Shurley English and Abeka grammar for years. :D

As far as writing goes, Rod and Staff does do a very good job of instructing kiddos in the various aspects of writing and speaking, however typically high school writing programs will have more practice and application of the writing types that are included in Rod and Staff 7 and 8, so it is important to add a writing program to Rod and Staff when using 7 and 8 for high school. :D

Write with the Best II, which is included in MTMM, is a good solid high school writing program. The writing program that we will be scheduling within the geography guide will also be a good solid high school writing program (and it will cover writing a research paper, which is important too). :D So, to answer your question, you should feel comfortable using Rod and Staff 7 and 8 as part of your English credit for high school, along with the writing programs that will be scheduled in the guides that your daughter has yet to complete. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Let's put it this way...I have been asked to teach a college English class at a local Bible college (I have a BA in English, so this isn't just random) and the books we use are R&S 8 for Grammar and R&S 9/10 for Writing. :) It is pretty beefy stuff.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:51 am

Carrie wrote:Heather,

The ladies are so right that Rod and Staff 7 and 8 cover all your child will need for high school grammar and then some!

Write with the Best II, which is included in MTMM, is a good solid high school writing program. The writing program that we will be scheduling within the geography guide will also be a good solid high school writing program (and it will cover writing a research paper, which is important too). :D So, to answer your question, you should feel comfortable using Rod and Staff 7 and 8 as part of your English credit for high school, along with the writing programs that will be scheduled in the guides that your daughter has yet to complete. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
AWESOME, thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping!!

Thanks to ALL of you who replied. You've been very helpful at putting my mind at ease that we will have all of our language arts bases covered well. :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl