Thinking ahead!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
beckytrow

Thinking ahead!

Post by beckytrow » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:14 am

Ok moms, I am just thinking ahead, so if anyone wants to chime in that would be great! We are beginning unit 11 in beyond! I have about 20 more weeks, to go, I know I will not finish it by June. So I am planning on doing it the first few months next year. I do not know if my wonderful daughter will be ready to do Bigger. So, she will be in 2nd grade next year. Here is what I need to know, do i move on to bigger when we are done with beyond or what should I do. Oh she will be 7 in a couple of weeks. So with that said, she is reading very well, will a few helps on the ER work. I am just trying to figure this out! I love the HOD approach, that hey are quick lessons, she gets frustrated with new topics. So math we are pausing on and doing reinforcement work. Thanks so much for your help!
Becky
Becky

Married for 10 years
DD 8 Finishing Beyond
DS 3 yrs.
DS Infant!
5 in heaven

lissiejo

Re: Thinking ahead!

Post by lissiejo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:45 pm

My daughter is also on the young end of the guides at the moment. I felt Beyond fully prepared her for Bigger, but there is a fairly large skill jump from one guide to the next. We started out half speed, which I anticipated doing all year and taking two years to complete the guide. I was pleasantly surprised that after 4 units at half speed she was very ready for completing the guide at regular pace. There are lots of options for how to do half speed, but this sounds like a good option for you if you're not sure if she is ready for the work-load.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

beckytrow

Post by beckytrow » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:03 pm

I have so thought about half speed, that is definitely an option out there! I need to rethink that option! I think I will begin to purchase my supplies for next year after a few weeks and see how we do!!
Becky

Married for 10 years
DD 8 Finishing Beyond
DS 3 yrs.
DS Infant!
5 in heaven

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:09 pm

I think if your daughter gets through Beyond without any major problems, I think she should be able to begin Bigger. As the pp said, if you begin at half-speed, she should do okay. My dd is doing Bigger. I had planned to begin half-speed and then gradually work into full speed. I didn't want to have a lot to do next year. Here's how it is ending up. We are doing 3 days of Bigger a week. So, by the end of the year we will only be a little more than halfway. I just knew it would be too much to do 5 days/week. I am taking it at a pace I feel she can handle. Even if it takes us a good part of next year to finish, so be it. So, I would just keep working through Beyind and when you are ready to start Bigger, you'll know what your dd is able to handle. :lol:
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:55 pm

We are using Beyond 4 days a week so we will not be finished with it when we break for the summer. I plan on picking it up again in August, then starting Bigger at half-pace for as long as it takes to adjust to the work load (and also 4 days a week).
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:35 am

I would agree with the pp's, she should be ready to move ahead. I would just start out half speed and see how it goes.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com