Help choosing curriculum - Bigger Hearts or Preparing Hearts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Titus2012

Help choosing curriculum - Bigger Hearts or Preparing Hearts

Post by Titus2012 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 pm

I would love to get some feedback on the correct curriculum to choose - especially since we are mid-year at this point.. I have looked at the placement charts but find I am still struggling with figuring out which program is best. We are considering, Bigger Hearts and Preparing Hearts. I have a 10 year old daughter who is between a fourth and fifth grade level in most schooling (reading she is above grade level). In particular, she is already working out of R&S, English 4 (Building with Diligence). My son, who is 8, is working out of R&S, English 3 (Beginning Wisely). My daughter is reading at almost a 6th grade level and my son is at about a 4th grade reading level. My daughter is done with cursive and my son is working on cursive - slowly. Writing tires his hand...which I understand is normal for his age and being a boy. We have our own science program but I am considering switching as I am liking what I am seeing off of the examples on the HOD website. We are using Christian Light/Sunrise and other supplemental games for math. For history we have been using Mystery of History, but my kids and I are finding it not so much of a good fit and I would rather do a little bit a day as HOD emphasizes. So having all the above, which program do you think is a better fit for us to dive into and how would you recommend we do this since we would be starting it in January? I am not a stranger to changing up curriculum. Last year was our first year homeschooling and there was a lot of changing going on. This year has been better but still just not quite there yet. My kids were previously in public school - our daughter, who was in longer than our son, was left behind and we have struggled to catch her up (she has some attention issues). Thank you in advance for anyones constructive input.

pjdobro

Re: Help choosing curriculum - Bigger Hearts or Preparing He

Post by pjdobro » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Welcome to HOD! Have you looked at the placement chart: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php Where do they place on there? In general it is usually recommended in combining to place the younger child in the correct program, then beef the program up with extensions for the older child. it sounds to me from what you've shared that your ds might find the writing portion of Preparing a bit overwhelming so with that in mind I would tend to learn towards Bigger adding extensions for your dd. Here is a post that tells more about the writing differences between Bigger and Preparing: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3602 What are your thoughts after looking at the placement chart and that link? :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:21 pm

I would say combine in Bigger since its such a hefty year I'd not want the younger one to miss it. Then totally beef up bigger with more reading and narration practice for the older one. If she is struggling give her accommodations till she is up to speed. I hope you find the "ease of use" a good fit for your family. :)
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:57 pm

Check the placement chart first. My opinion is to go with Bigger using extensions for your oldest. Preparing requires alot of writing that may stress your younger one.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

Titus2012

Post by Titus2012 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:57 pm

Thank you to all of you for your thoughts. It pretty much confirmed what I felt the Holy Spirit was directing me towards - Bigger. I have purchased it and await its arrival. My other question is how to do this mid-year. Obviously I will stay on track with the Rod and Staff as well as their math curriculum and start from the beginning with Bigger Hearts but how does that work when we run into the beginning of next year...when technically we should be starting the next HOD book? Do I just continue on with Bigger and extend it out through next year somehow? I know it really should not matter but I do consider that if anything were to happen to me and my husband was forced to integrate the kids back into a school "system" that they be somewhere on track. As I said in my original post, my daughter was "left behind" in the public school system and we are still playing catch up - although I believe the Rod and Staff is way more thorough and just might be right on par in fourth grade with what a fifth grade student would be doing in a brick and mortar school. I consider English, Writing, and Math to be the most critical skills at this age. Anyone care to shed light on that? I am one of those people that likes to be prepared for worst case scenario...thanks again to all those that took the time to help.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:08 am

Welcome to the HOD Board, Titus2012! :D You already received solid advice, and I think you have arrived at a wonderful placement for your dc! :D I applaud you for following the Holy Sprit's leading - always the best decision. :D

In response to a few things you mentioned in this last part of your post - HOD is right on board with you with reading, writing, and math being very important. You will see this addressed very nicely in Bigger Hearts. For reading instruction, HOD's award-winning "Drawn into the Heart of Reading" (DITHOR) is scheduled daily in the Bigger Heart's plans. Be sure you get the proper different reading levels of books for each of your dc, and your younger ds can do Level 2/3, with your older dd doing either Level 2/3 or 4/5 for her Student Book. The level of reading of the book package need not match the level of the Student Book. So, if you feel it would be beneficial to establish a base to build upon in knowledge of story elements (i.e. plot, setting, theme, etc.) and genre study for your older dd and have her do less writing at the onset of DITHOR, then choosing Student Book 2/3 and higher level reading books would be a good match. Or, on the other hand, if you feel your dd is ready for more and has had some reading instruction in these areas already, then she can start with Student Book 4/5. For your ds, he would for sure do the 2/3 Student Book and book package. :D

You will see many excellent LA skills worked into the plans. Spelling/Dictation, copywork, oral narration, poetry study, and R & S English are included in the Bigger Hearts plans. These LA skills produce strong students over the years of steady practice. They have helped take each of my dc's weaker LA skill areas and build them strong through the years, to create well-balanced, competent students. So, each part of the BHFHG's plans works together in a balanced way to help students build important skills steadily. :D

For your older dd, I would add the BHFHG's extensions. She is a good reader, and the extensions will fit her well. Also, the follow-up skills she will rotate through each week that are mentioned at the onset of the extension package in the Appendix of BHFHG will extend her LA skills very nicely for her age as well. :D Not to mention - the books are awesome! :D This will also extend the areas of history and science to be age appropriate for dd.

With these considerations, as well as continuation of appropriate levels of English and Math, this placement is definitely strong enough academically for your dc to enter into public school at any point. That being said - if I may be so bold to say that in my heart of hearts I hope you stay the course with homeschooling with HOD, especially through those middle school years. HOD is partnering with me through these tougher parenting years of teenage ages, and helping my ds and I to be so close with one another! I know this is a rare gift, and I credit it first to the Lord, and second to HOD for giving me the tools - academically and spiritually - to help my ds navigate these years with a strong faith in the Lord. :D Praise God - I want that for you and your dd too! :D

Last, in answer to your question about how do you do this year starting in January - I'd do a day of school every day Mon. through Fri. that you are able, and when summer comes or when a break comes you normally would take - take it. Then, pick up with the next day of plans when you resume. A good rule of thumb is to complete 1 HOD guide within every year. It is important not to double up, or cram in, as the workload becomes too much, and the beauty of the guides being written in a deep way to be savored and remembered is lost. My middle ds is and will be on this schedule. We start a new guide every January. We take our summer off, and we pick up where we left off, finishing that guide by Dec. :D This has worked beautifully for him, and I think it will for your kiddos too. :D Once you reach PHFHG, the guides from PHFHG on up are 4 day a week guides. If you wanted, you could do PHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev 5 days a week and you would then, by MTMM, be on board to start MTMM in Sept. and end it in May. However, keep in mind, HOD has taken 5 days' worth of plans and put then in 4 days in these guides to give you a 5th day off. I am not sure if it is worth all that to get to starting in Sept. and ending in May - but it is certainly a workable possibility if you would enjoy that. :D You will find many, many, many families are choosing the pacing of 'whenever you finish an HOD guide, begin the next one.' :D So, your placement of starting in Jan. and ending in Dec. is completely 'normal.' :D :D :D

HTH, and I look forward to getting to know you here! This board is full of gracious, helpful, Christian ladies - you will fit right in! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie