Recording oral narration on IPod to be typed a success!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Recording oral narration on IPod to be typed a success!

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Through the years, I have typed my ds's oral narrations whenever the HOD guide's plans have said to do so, and it has been such a great way to see and celebrate progress I may have otherwise missed. :D Though I am a pretty quick typist, however, I have struggled keeping up with his oral narration, and out of respect, Wyatt has s-l-o-w-e-d down his oral narration (and really simplified it too) to help me keep up.

When I read how Carrie has Shaw say and save his oral narrations to be typed on his Ipod as a voice memo, I decided to give it a whirl. WOW! What a difference in Wyatt's oral narrations! They are full of personality, and much lengthier. I could also keep replaying it to type it well. Here are a few of them lately - they are not perfect, but I think he did a good job on them! :D

Image Image

Just thought I'd share that we are enjoying this idea! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kathleen

Re: Recording oral narration on IPod to be typed a success!

Post by Kathleen » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:37 pm

We've had the same issue here with the narration I type not being as interesting as the one they share when we're sitting on the couch enjoying it. I've been wanting an ipod...now it might be a necessity. :lol: So...as I'm shopping, will they all do the recording or are there certain ones that will/won't?

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:52 pm

I need to get an IPod ;)

Julie that is so neat. Thank you for sharing. I really like this idea.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:23 pm

I love how he said at the start of the first one how it is a pleasure to be recording his narration! :lol: That's a great way to use an iPod. My dc use theirs a lot here. I can see the voice memo being one that we'll use in the future. :D

Those are some really nice narrations. I look forward to my dc growing to the point of having narrations as dynamic as those. :D

Kathleen, I think all of the iPod touches will have that voice memo feature. My dc have 4th generation 32 gb ones that they have had for over 1 1/2 years and they still work well for them. If you aren't looking to store a lot of photos, music, apps, or videos, you could go with less storage like the 16 gb one. You might want to look on craigslist to find a used one. Since the 5th generation just recently came out, you might find someone who wants to sell their 4th generation to upgrade to the 5th generation.
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Julie, this is awesome! Thanks for sharing! I just read this to our 15yog, who is improving in her narrations, but could definitely learn to be more "verbose". (She is a "just the facts/say it as concisely as possible" kind of girl.) ;)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM