Am I the Only One Who Has.....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
netpea

Re: Am I the Only One Who Has.....

Post by netpea » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 pm

we don't write in the singapore textbooks but I photocopy the practice exercises and let them do their work on that.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

acts29stl

Post by acts29stl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 pm

WOW! I would LOVE to let my kiddos do that but with a larger family I definitely need my manuals to last :wink: I could see how my boys would thrive off of making the huge X's through the boxes though :lol: My daughter would probably have hers all color coordinated and spend too much time on making her manual look pretty :roll:

I do have to say that I have found that I like my manuals nice and clean. Getting out my Bigger manual again to use with my next ds and seeing little check marks in it makes me anxious! So I have made my kiddos check off sheets where they check off each item with a pencil and after I've seen it/corrected it I check it off with a red pen. This doubles as my yearly record keeping as well.
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek; that I may behold the beauty of the Lord and meditate in His temple."
ds(13)& dd(12) MTMM, DITHOR
ds(10) CTC, DITHOR
ds(9) PHFHG, DITHOR
ds(7) LHFHG
dd(5) LHTH
dd(4) LHTH
dd(2)
dd(10-3-15)

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:45 pm

school4princesses wrote:I, too, have to reuse the guides with all four kids. Or at least, from the point we are starting on. But I get that they like to check things off, or cross them out, or whatever floats their boat, as a reward for finishing the activity. So I cut the binding from my guide and put the pages for one unit into page protectors. (The pages are all three-hole punched and kept in a two inch binder. I give them one week at a time in a small three ring notebook and when they are done, they can check it off, or whatever they choose to do, with a dry or wet erase marker. I can also add little notes on small post it squares whenever I have something to add. So far it is going swimmingly. I have one DD with ADD/SPD issues who is a doodler. This is the only way I could think of a guide surviving in her hands to last through the other two. My Bigger girl wonders when I will do that for her, as she wants to do school like her big sisters. I told her she has to wait until she gets into Preparing, which won't be until about January 2014. But, Homeschooling6, I know that you have to do what works for you. I'm just thrilled that school is going well and you seem to have found something you can stick with. :D
Me too, I can kick myself for not using HOD back in 2008. I was just so overwhelmed with other things at the time. I'm glad I came back though.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:03 pm

we x out the T/I/S box in Pencil... a big x like that would give me hives! Only because we are contemplating adopting again. I want it to be legible for anyone down the road.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:55 pm

I somehow stumbled across this thread when searching for a topic, but I had to stop and reassure the original poster that we too mark up or manuals. One year, due to medical reasons, I had DH, MIL and myself using the manual at times. That manual looks terrible because I wrote extra things in for the other teachers and crossed off items to fit our particular needs that year. MIL even spilled a cup of red koolaid all over the manual when working with the kids.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

annaz

Post by annaz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:13 pm

abrightmom wrote:My HOD guides are pristine. Seeing huge marks all over the page gives me hives and heart palpitations. :mrgreen:
Nope! I used to be like "abrightmom". :D I have moved on to the big fat X. :mrgreen:

And it's funny that you stumbled upon this, because if it was a few years older, I'd have already posted in the thread that my guide is pristine. I actually checked. LOL.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

mothermayi

Post by mothermayi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:51 pm

Ahhhhh! It's official. I will fall out of my chair and drop dead in 3...2......

Married to dh 13 years
ds12--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 6/7/8
ds10--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 4/5
dd5y11mo--MFW K, ETC 3, MMM/SM, A Beka Cursive--Looking forward to beginning HOD!
dd3.5--HOD LHTH 1/2 speed

annaz

Post by annaz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:14 am

annaz wrote:
abrightmom wrote:My HOD guides are pristine. Seeing huge marks all over the page gives me hives and heart palpitations. :mrgreen:
Nope! I used to be like "abrightmom". :D I have moved on to the big fat X. :mrgreen:

And it's funny that you stumbled upon this, because if it was a few years older, I'd have already posted in the thread that my guide is pristine. I actually checked. LOL.
I didn't go back in this thread far enough. Yes...I did it in pencil and had just moved on to pencil from pristine. LOL... Age...I just figure I'm going to use it up and wear it out and it feels good! :mrgreen:
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Kteni

Post by Kteni » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:09 am

annaz wrote:
I gave dd her own book this year. OMGosh! There is no way we could share. Her's looked like this. INK! I don't do ink! :lol:
THIS IS BRILLIANT!

I am of the opinion that my HOD guides are guides, school books, theirs. And when the next child uses one, I will get a new guide for them to keep. Just re-buying a guide is not too taxing compared to buying a whole new kit and caboodle. I agree, they are special and need to be cared for. Teaching good stewardship of blessings. But marking off, it could bring satisfaction in accomplishment I could see. We snip the corners of pages (gasp, lol) so we can get to the current page faster.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of recording books read, field trips, additional learning memories in it on the pages. Thank you for sharing that! What a special way to make the guides a good memory for the children to look at. like a school scrapbook. hmmmmmm.... not the wheels are turning!
in {heart} 17 years
yarngirl 14- CTC w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
legoboy 11 - Bigger w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
tractorboy 5 - LHTH 1/2 speed
camobaby 3 - tractorboy's shadow

RestInHim

Post by RestInHim » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:36 am

Ack! You wrote in the book?!?!

Just kidding. If it works for your kids, go for it!

I am such a bibliophile...I cannot bear to write in books. Any books. Plus, my guides will be going through 3 (or more) kids, so no writing in them.
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months

Molly

Post by Molly » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:34 am

After originally reading this thread, we started writing the child's initial in the corner of each box or just beside it. For my girls when I've seen they have finished something, I tick it. It has been great for all of us to see exactly where they are at for the day.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH