Teacher Manual for English 3: Beginning Wisely?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
psreit

Teacher Manual for English 3: Beginning Wisely?

Post by psreit » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:02 am

I couldn't find a thread about this. I just wondered how many use(d) a teacher manual for English 3. I do not use one for English 2 and I'm okay with it. I'm planning ahead for Preparing. Am I missing something if I don't use the manual? If it is parts of speech and putting sentences together like #2, I can handle that. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something by not using it. For those who started out NOT using the TM, what level did you need to start using it? Thanks.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

keyjoh

Re: Teacher Manual for English 3: Beginning Wisely?

Post by keyjoh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 am

You can get away with not using it for R&S2 but I couldn't see not having it for levels 3 & up because that is where all of the oral review is. It's been really helpful having the teachers manual.
----------
Bigger Hearts For His Glory (DD9)
Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory (DS7)
Little Hands To Heaven (DS3)

momof4

Post by momof4 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:01 am

Grammar is not my strong suit so I like it to be able to verify any answers I'm not completely sure of and as keyjoh mentioned it has the oral review. Having the teacher's manual has been really good for us, but depending on your confidence in the material, you may not need it.

Laurie
dd's 22, 17
ds 9 - Bigger
dd 5 - LHFHG

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 am

I didn't use the teacher's manual until R&S4. I didn't realize that there was oral review in the TM starting in level 3 until I read it on here, and we were already mostly through level 3. :oops: :roll: I didn't feel that I needed the TM in 2 so I didn't think I would need it in 3 and most of the year, I didn't need it. There was a time or two though that I was scratching my head and at least one time that I was unsure if I had the correct answer. So I decided I would be getting the TM for level 4. :D If I had known about the oral review in 3 before, I would have started using the TM with level 3. I think it is useful, and it is easier to have the answers right in front of you. Some days, it's just easier not to have to challenge my brain! :lol:
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:05 pm

You may know everything, but I would get it just for the oral review. That is worth its weight in gold. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:26 pm

John'smom wrote:You may know everything, but I would get it just for the oral review. That is worth its weight in gold. :D
Nodding in agreement! :D :D :D The oral review is what has made the terms and tips stick for our dc. I know this because though I did get the TM starting with 3, I didn't do the oral review questions. When I mentioned to Carrie that Wyatt didn't seem to remember the parts of speech, etc., very well, she asked how he was doing with his oral review questions. I said, "What oral review questions?" :oops: Anyway, I could tell a big difference once we started doing the oral review questions. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:09 pm

I guess we need to use the TM. :wink: Thanks for the input. I feel like I am concerning myself with Preparing way too early, but time flies when you're having fun. :D
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:35 pm

I'll just add a differing opinion. I have the TM, but I really don't feel like we need it. I will do the oral review some with Caroline, but it just doesn't feel necessary for her. BUT, I am an English tutor (although my degree is actually not English), so maybe that makes a difference? I don't know... But it was sort of a waste of money for her. The good thing is, though, that if I do need it for one of my other 3 kids, I will already have it.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:55 pm

The oral review questions in 3 have really helped ds to retain what he learned last year and he is doing a great job. I even used TM for R&S 2 and liked the extra teaching tips, since English is my 2nd language! :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:33 pm

For my daughter, the review will be a good thing. She is doing pretty well in R&S 2, but after giving her a review on nouns today, I think she'll need the extra. She was doing great with picking out the nouns until today. I think she's been more distracted lately. It probably will be this way until Christmas. :wink:
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Mommamo wrote:I'll just add a differing opinion. I have the TM, but I really don't feel like we need it. I will do the oral review some with Caroline, but it just doesn't feel necessary for her. BUT, I am an English tutor (although my degree is actually not English), so maybe that makes a difference? I don't know... But it was sort of a waste of money for her. The good thing is, though, that if I do need it for one of my other 3 kids, I will already have it.
I would have said the same thing as Mommamo while we were using English 3, but as we've moved down the road several years I can see just how valuable the oral review was ALL the way along. I would get the teacher manual and use the oral review. It will lay a solid foundation along with the daily lessons all the way along your path.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:22 am

Also, in R & S English 4 on up, many more writing concepts are introduced. :D The Teacher's Manual is priceless for that guidance too. Now that we are using R & S English 6, it is especially helpful. :wink: Good question!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:07 pm

Thanks for the tips, Ladies! :)
mikki
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)