Suggestions for my situation?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
EmilyJ

Suggestions for my situation?

Post by EmilyJ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Hello Ladies! You all give such amazing advice that I thought I'd ask here now that I think I know how our year is going to end up. A little background...we are missionaries in Mexico and by necessity, I am homeschooling. It has been a long road for me to become excited about homeschooling, but I can honestly say that God has been faithful and I have been really enjoying the year so far. :)

My oldest is 5 (Sept birthday). She's doing the Kindergarten part of LHFHG, but only the math, phonics, fine motor skills. We've just been reading the Reddy Fox stories for fun, not doing the activities yet. I wanted to save them for our second time through the Burgess books. We're going to do LHFHG in its entirety next year for her "first" grade (using 1st grade math, phonics, fine motors).

We've done LHTH this year for all of my girls. My other two are 3.5 (will be 4 in February) and 2.5 years old. Here's my question. My younger two are much more alike in terms of personality/learning style (at least that I can tell at this point). But regardless, my almost 4 year old is adopted and very "young" emotionally and still needing a lot of attachment activities with us. I want to keep her with my 2.5 year old, not the 5 year old.

Sooo...that begs the question...what should I do for next year for the 4 year old, considering we just did LHTH this year? And she is VERY verbal and has a mind like a sponge. She'd know we're repeating next year if I turned around and did it again, and she very much wants to do school like her big sister. I figured when she's in "kindergarten" and my now 2.5 year old is in preschool, I'd do LHFHG K options (3 Rs) with middle daughter, do our own read-alouds, and then do LHFHG when she's in first, and my youngest is in Kindy, thus combining them.

Sorry to ramble...there aren't any other "people" to talk homeschooling with here, lol! And I need to order soon as we don't get reliable mail and a short term group coming in March is going to bring all the curriculum I need for next year. :) Thanks!! :)
Emily
DD5, DD3.5, DD2
LHTH with K 3R's from LHFHG for oldest

Mercy

Re: Suggestions for my situation?

Post by Mercy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Just a quick suggestion...there are toptions for LHTH. Two bibles, three different options for devotionals, and the option to do thinking skills instead of the rod and staff workbooks. This would make your next year look different if you chose to change some of the books. ;-)

Hope that helps a lil.
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:39 am

I believe I will be doing a repeat of LHTH next year when my daughter is 4 as well along with adding in a few other things to help her progress to Kindergarten level. She'll remember some of the things, yes, but the activities are SO much fun that I think she'll enjoy it. I also really like the Rod and Staff workbooks for Pre-K at this age. 2 are suggested for LHFHG, but there are several others to choose from.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

EmilyJ

Post by EmilyJ » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks, ladies! I think I will just plan on repeating and looking at a different rod and staff workbook maybe. It certainly would make life easier to not stress about planning something else! We are having a lot of fun with LHTH. :D
Emily
DD5, DD3.5, DD2

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:11 pm

I think using whichever children's Bible and devotional you didn't use this year would help keep a second time through LHTH fresh! :D You could have dd do the other R & S Workbooks too. Kumon workbooks would be easy, inexpensive, and fun to add too, and would cover cutting, tracing, gluing, letters/numbers, etc. very nicely in a new way. :D For your older dd doing LHFHG, I wanted to mention there are other Thorton Burgess books that you could read now if you wanted, and then you could save the ones matching the LHFHG Storytime box for later, as it is nice for those to be fresh when they do the follow-up skills if possible - just an idea. Your 3.5 yo dd could listen in on them now for fun too! :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:57 pm

I would not push the Adoptee to be on target. I think your plan of keeping them with younger crowd is a good plan. Keep doing all the attachment activities as "school" with them. I have a "young" 13 year old and take it from me trying to get them "on age" is just asking for heart break. Getting the sensory issues under control is so vital to them being able to pay attention and learn later on. Have fun!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

EmilyJ

Post by EmilyJ » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! :) And Tansy...I never thought about calling all our attachment activities "school", but that's brilliant!!! Thank you. Also for the reminder not to push for on target. We have so many things to still do together with her that involve just basic living skills that I need to write down your advice so I don't get overwhelmed or frustrated about being "behind" in something else (even though I know it's not behind really...she's made HUGE strides and is such a blessing)!
Emily
DD5, DD3.5, DD2