Question about vocabulary in Bigger.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gca123

Question about vocabulary in Bigger.

Post by gca123 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi. I'm wondering if people are having their children memorize the vocabulary words and their meaning or just doing them the one day and that's all.

We do them on the designated day and talk about them if/when they come up during the rest of the unit, but are not actually memorizing the definitions. Just wondering how others are doing this.

Thanks
Camille

John'smom

Re: Question about vocabulary in Bigger.

Post by John'smom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 pm

We did not purposely memorize the definitions. I honestly feel like my dc know what they mean after writing their own sentences and drawing the pictures. HTH!
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Larica

Post by Larica » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:07 pm

My dd is not memorizing them. To be honest, it didn't even occur to me to have her do so! I figure we can always go back and look through her definitions/sentences/drawings later to review.

Erica
Erica
mom to 5, ages 7 to 15
Enjoyed LHTH to WH so far!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:29 pm

I love that vocabulary activity for soooo many reasons. :D It is just chock full of so many awesome LA skills! :D The BHFHG plans don't intend for dc to memorize the vocabulary, as vocabulary done for memory's sake can often be quickly forgotten. Rather the vocabulary study in BHFHG teaches many important LA skills that would be drawn upon when a child actually doesn't know a word in his/her reading - i.e. finding the word in the history book (or whatever book a child is using), looking at the word in its context, guessing at its meaning, looking it up in the dictionary to see which definition best fits, being able to use that word in a sentence of a child's own making to show he/she understands its meaning now, illustrating it to further show understanding of the word, and filing the card made alphabetically. All the skills taught (with the exception of creating the actual card and filing it alphabetically) are those that would be used if a child came to a word he/she didn't know when reading. These skills have been an incredible help to my dc, not only in history, but in all subject areas! :D Memorization is part of the Bible Study box in all guides, as well as part of the poetry and writing in later guides. But vocabulary, both in the the HOD core guides and in DITHOR, is approached as a multi-faceted LA skill to be taught a process that can be used how to expand your vocabulary yourself, whenever you come to word you don't know. :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:43 pm

my3sons wrote:I love that vocabulary activity for soooo many reasons. :D It is just chock full of so many awesome LA skills! :D The BHFHG plans don't intend for dc to memorize the vocabulary, as vocabulary done for memory's sake can often be quickly forgotten. Rather the vocabulary study in BHFHG teaches many important LA skills that would be drawn upon when a child actually doesn't know a word in his/her reading - i.e. finding the word in the history book (or whatever book a child is using), looking at the word in its context, guessing at its meaning, looking it up in the dictionary to see which definition best fits, being able to use that word in a sentence of a child's own making to show he/she understands its meaning now, illustrating it to further show understanding of the word, and filing the card made alphabetically. All the skills taught (with the exception of creating the actual card and filing it alphabetically) are those that would be used if a child came to a word he/she didn't know when reading. These skills have been an incredible help to my dc, not only in history, but in all subject areas! :D Memorization is part of the Bible Study box in all guides, as well as part of the poetry and writing in later guides. But vocabulary, both in the the HOD core guides and in DITHOR, is approached as a multi-faceted LA skill to be taught a process that can be used how to expand your vocabulary yourself, whenever you come to word you don't know. :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Julie, I love how your flesh out and explain all the skills that the child is learning through HOD's vocabulary. Thanks so much!

I have to admit that my little guy is not drawing what the word means yet :oops: I hope to have him do that by the end of the year though (praying it will happen) :D
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks so much! :D :D :D This will make you feel better about ds - Wyatt's first illustrations were honestly stick figures. Itty-bitty ones. :oops: I know because I just looked back at his work from years ago, and I was shocked at his first vocabulary cards! For those students like my oldest ds who are not natural at drawing, I think it's okay to accept any drawing that illustrates they know the meaning of the word. That is the focus rather than a well-drawn picture in this case. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

gca123

Post by gca123 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for all your help! Julie-your explanation of why we are doing this is very helpful.

Thanks again,
Camille