Dictation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Wilfam12

Dictation

Post by Wilfam12 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi again! OK, so my dd9 is working on Level 3 Dictation Passages for Preapring. Ds11 is also doing Preapring, but I was looking for a higher level of dictation passages for him. What level book are the dictation passages in RtR written from? Or what are others using?

Thanks!

Julee W.
Julee, wife to ConcreteMan for 15 years, and mom to:
DS11 - PHFHG w/extensions
DD9 - PHFHG

my3sons

Re: Dictation

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi Julee - Love your name BTW! :lol: I just responded to your science question, and your post here may be a good reason to get a different guide for doing the science too, as you could use the dictation from it as well. RTR's science would be another option to consider for your sixth grader. As far as the dictation goes, CTC includes levels 3, 4, and 5, and RTR includes levels 4, 5, and 6. They are not meant to be grade equivalent though. Rather students should begin at a level they can pass around 3-4 passages each week or so. There is an excellent description for doing dictation at the start of each HOD Appendix. I make mention of this as many other resources other than HOD are not doing dictation using the method prescribed by Charlotte Mason. So, the description is very helpful! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Oh, and here are some posts including sample dictation passages through Level 5, in case this is helpful...

Dictation Samples:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1221
CTC Level 5 Dictation Sample:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5068&p=37153#p37153

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:15 pm

RTR has level 4, 5, and 6 in it. Preparing has levels 2, 3, and 4; CTC 3, 4, 5.

I don't think there really is a "normal" level for grade level or age. Once you find the spot that is challenging for your dc you start there and continue to progress through the levels one passage at a time working through how ever many that ends up being in a year. I think there is a large range of where a child at a particular age will fall. I have twins and I finally separated them for dictation this year. I had kept them together the last couple of years for my own ease, and I felt like my dd still needed more attention to detail. She was doing fine with the spelling, but sometimes would just err in her writing. It has taken her a while to mature and pay attention to all of the details in a passage. I probably should have separated them long ago, but I don't feel that her time in the lower levels was wasted. What I did this year is start her doing a few passages from the level and then if she was able to get them all correct the first time, I would move up 1/3 or so in the level. We've finally settled out at level 5 for her. Though most of the spelling isn't difficult for her, the punctuation, length of the passage, etc. is challenging her enough for now. My ds however is still back in the middle of level 3 and being challenged by it. My dc are 10.

You could try towards the end of level 4 with your ds. Some of them at the end of 4 are quite challenging. So I would say try your ds in the middle of level 4 and see how he does. If that is too easy, try the passages towards the end of level 4. If that is too easy, then try level 5 and continue until you find a spot that seems to challenge him enough that he occasionally misses something and has to redo a passage. HTH! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1