What guides are you doing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
netpea

Re: What guides are you doing?

Post by netpea » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:46 am

We are in Unit 11 of Preparing with our just turned 10yo and LHTH Unit 1 with the 2yo.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:56 am

Our 8.5 y/o is doing Bigger Hearts 4 days a week. We're using the fifth day for math, reading, board games, and outside activities (4H and hand chimes, field trips, etc). We are LOVING it! We also have a college sophomore at home.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:06 pm

My 13 year old is on unit 13 of Rev to Rev and loving it! I have so appreciated how responsibility and skills have slowly but steadily been taught to him as we have progressed through the guides. I am amazed at how CAPABLE he is of using the guide without me. :D It is a gift to this hovering mama, who probably NEVER would have let him go to be independent. :oops: What I am finding, is that not only is he prepared for the level of independence, but he is also thriving with increased independence.
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:35 pm

We are in Unit 18 of Beyond with my 6 and 8 year old girls and loving it. It really is perfect for both of them.

My 4 1/2 year old son finished LHTH in August, and we have started LHFHG half speed (completing only 2 days a week). We are finishing Unit 4. I tried taking a break from HOD after LHTH, just to slow him down a little, but he kept asking for his activities and projects in an imploring way! I never seem to get to "activities" without HOD! He is enjoying LHFHG and doing fine. I plan to keep him half speed for a good while, though he often begs for more!
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

homefire

Post by homefire » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:05 am

My 7yo dd is in Beyond, 6yo ds is doing LHFHG and 4yo dd is going through LHTH while tagging along with big brother.
Daughter of the King, wife to my firefighting hubby, and Mom to my three blessings.
LM: 7yo dd Beyond for 2nd grade, AIG Answers for Kids, piano
CL: 6yo ds LHFHG, AIG for Kids, starting piano this year!
AM: 4yo dd LHTH and some LHFHG

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Grant is 12 years old and using Rev2Rev.
Allison is 8 years old and using most of Bigger this year. (We were 4 units into the guide before we picked back up this fall.)
Garret is 6 years old. He will be finishing LHFHG (we were a little more than half way through from last school year) and moving into Beyond.

Asa LOVES to join us for anything active and "colors" while any written work is being done. :wink: He can also find an "A" on anything, so he recognizes 2/3 of his name. :lol:
Quinn is fascinated with our guides, and would love to "read" one cover to cover! He tries his absolute, wiggly best to get ahold of the guide everytime he's in the room with us doing school. He knows they're WAY better than whatever board book I try to convince him to read. :lol: :roll:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:44 pm

We have our 7 year old- 1st grader in Beyond. Our older boys 11-6th grade and 13-7th grade in Res. to Ref.

4 years with HOD and loving it!!!

:) Cindy
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:37 am

Ladies,

I love to hear which guide(s) you're doing and about your families! :D What a blessing that we can share our HOD journey together! 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

JanOH

Post by JanOH » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:12 pm

My 11yods is on Week 12 of Creation to Christ.
My 9yods is on Week 32 of Bigger (He's so excited to move on to Preparing within the next few weeks!)
My 7yods is on Week 10 of Beyond.
My two youngest (4 and 3) like to do LHTH but I'm having trouble fitting it in with any consistency. I'll probably try again after Christmas.

HOD has been a great blessing to my family.
Janet
19yods and 18yodd starting college this year.
15yods: not using HOD :(
11yods: Creation To Christ
9yods: Bigger
7yods: Beyond
4yods & 2yodd: Getting ready to start Little Hands (when Mom finds the time)

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Caroline is 9 and is in unit 12 of Preparing. She is just thriving with it!
Dalton (6) and Emma Cate (4) are in unit 5 of LHFHG. They are having a blast with it, and they especially love the memory verses and gross motor activities that go along with them. And Reddy Fox.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Great question! :D Here we are doing MTMM with our almost 13 yo ds, CTC with our 9 1/2 yo ds, and LHFHG with our 5 1/2 yo ds. What a good year we are having! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Robin

Post by Robin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi Carrie,
I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work you have put into these wonderful guides. The choices for books are amazing! We started last year with HOD after seeing the curriculum at the MACHE conference in MN. Currently we are using:
LHFHG(dd-6;dd-4-tagging along;18mo.-tagging along)
Preparing(ds-12;dd-11;niece-11)
CTC(niece-16-dyslexic)
RTR(ds-14; nephew-16-dyslexic)
RevtoRev(ds-16;niece-18-dyslexic)
MFW(dd-17;nephew-16)
SL(ds-19-finishing by Christmas w/hs)
ds-20-farming on own
We have homeschooled the whole way through with all of our own and are currently lending a hand to my sister with her children. I have spent a couple of hours reading all these posts with all the good ideas and wonderful encouragement! What a blessing to say the least! This whole curriculum is the answer for boys and dyslexic children!! (And the girls like it too... :D ) Believe me when I say we have tried it all and this is by far the easiest to use and stay on track. We have never been able to finish a whole year in a school year until last year. We run a good size dairy farm and I thought it was just the fate of the farm until we found HOD!

May God continue to bless you and your family,
Robin

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:22 pm

I am doing Beyond full speed with my 6.5yo.
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:02 am

I have a 4th, a 5th and a special needs 8th grader doing CTC. I've got two 8th graders doing Rev to Rev and a high schooler doing MTMM. My 8th graders are doing Rev to Rev on the high school level in case they decide to use that as their first year. We love it all! :D :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Just CTC with extensions, trying to finish up by January :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12