A Door is Peaking Open

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
GrannySimplicity

A Door is Peaking Open

Post by GrannySimplicity » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:12 pm

We are in our 3rd week of HOD and the kids are really enjoying it. Our 6 yr old dd still has the attitude of "is that all I had to do today?" and loves the routine. She especially enjoys all the reading and artwork. Her confidence in reading is beginning to grow. We read the history reading assignment together each day. She reads the words that she knows or can sound out, then I read the passage again to her so that she can simply listen. She is loving those times.

Our 4 yr old ds is slowly making his way through the lessons. As I have stated before, I have to make some minor adaptations, but he is able to do most of the work. Over the past few days, I have been watching as the Lord is blessing us with a door that is now beginning to peak open. Like most children with classic autism, our ds is non-verbal. (1/3 to 1/2 of those diagnosed with classic/infantile autism never develop a workable communication through speech)

The amount of painting that we have been doing to work through his lessons is taking us to a new place. On days when he paints a lot, filling the small clothesline over our kitchen windows with paintings, his other areas of function seem to improve. For example, he is calmer and has no meltdowns the entire day. He is also beginning to communicate through the painting. When asked to paint a flower stem (he was painting the climbing roses that his sister was also doing as part of her schoolwork) he was able to do so without aid. It may seem like a minor thing, but it is actually a huge issue. The "professionals" who tested him thinks his cognitive level to be that of an 18 month to 2 yr old. He is 2.5 yrs behind in that diagnosis. So to have him paint the stems on his own was a big deal.

I am now looking at using his love of painting as a therapy tool. I would not have thought to do this so soon if it were not for the curriculum he is using. Anyways, I just wanted to share how this is helping.
Paula
http://ourprairiehome.wordpress.com

ds - LHTH
dd - BLHFHG

chillin'inandover

Re: A Door is Peaking Open

Post by chillin'inandover » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:47 am

Paula,
That is great news! My dd broke a rule-ran from me while in the store. The discipline was that we leave the store and she didn't get to make her purchase that she had saved for. When she got home she drew a picture of her standing by me at the store and another one of her making her purchase. She said she would look at (study) the picture so she would know how to behave the next time we went to the store. Sometimes these kiddos have more insight in how to help themselves than we do. She was able to internalize the rule and own the rule as the pictures were her idea. The rule to stick by me is important because she has no survival skills-get help, state her name, etc. These kiddos seem to look at pictures deeper than we can know or understand. Enjoy the painting!
Tammy

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:27 am

GREAT news for both kiddos! :D

Years ago I worked one on one with a severely autistic boy. He loved painting and clay work!
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Oh! I am so glad to hear this! :D Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Wonderful! :D So happy for y'all.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:58 pm

This is such a great update to read - it really filled my 'cup' today! :D I am so glad to hear your dc are loving HOD and their homeschooling days! Kuddos to you to for being so mindful of how to be an encouragement to each of your dc. Thanks for sharing! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 pm

Oh I'm so happy for you this is really exciting.

I find melt downs are linked to communication or safety. So to me this says he feels like he's able to communicate.
Rejoicing with you!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

GrannySimplicity

Post by GrannySimplicity » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:48 pm

Thank you for the replies. We had another little breakthrough with DS last week. He was moping around all morning and I just couldn't get him out of his mood. After a while, I asked if he wanted his paints. That gave me the first attempted smile of the day. When we got the paints out, he started painting first a purple background. Next, he used red over the purple and I began to see an image appear. He ended up painting a very impressionistic styled painting of my husband's truck. I asked if that was Daddy's truck and he giggled. Then I asked if he was missing Daddy (who is away from home Sunday afternoon until Saturday morning each week) and he giggled again while tapping the brush to the truck. His mood improved once he was able to communicate his feelings.

We now start each day with a little painting. This calms and prepares him for the schoolwork to be done. We do whatever painting necessary to complete the lessons, then she as free painting time after schooling is done. This is working out beautifully. He is easier to work with during school time and meltdowns have now stopped completely.
Paula
http://ourprairiehome.wordpress.com

ds - LHTH
dd - BLHFHG

mom23

Post by mom23 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Wow, that melts my heart! I'm so glad that you've been able to find a tangible way for your son to share and express himself. What a precious little guy to paint about missing Daddy that way! Keep up the good work with your children!
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing