Question about One Small Square: Seashore

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gca123

Question about One Small Square: Seashore

Post by gca123 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:59 am

Hi. For those of you doing Bigger, I was wondering if you actually go to the seashore and make a "square". We haven't been to the beach and was wondering if most people actually do the "square" or just read about it like we are. Somedays I feel like we are missing something by just reading about it. I'm not really enjoying this book and wonder if it's because we are missing the hands-on piece.

Thanks,
Camille

chillin'inandover

Re: Question about One Small Square: Seashore

Post by chillin'inandover » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:53 am

We don't live near the seashore here in Minnesota but we loved the book. Actually we loved the whole series of Square books. In the summer we brought the book to the beach and that was a way to integrate the information long term. We also visited our zoo's aquarium and we have Underwater World at Mall of America to view some sea creatures. There are no desert creatures around here either. Tammy

psreit

Post by psreit » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:45 pm

I asked the same question just a little while back. We are in PA and can't go to the beach to do this, but dd likes looking at the pictures of all the sea creatures in the book. Since she has difficulty with drawing, I have been letting her choose pictures of sea creatures from the internet and printing them off to put in her notebook. I think that helps to give her a more realistic view of what is found on the seashore, since we can't go there. My dd is very hands-on, but she is doing okay with this. I'm looking forward to the 'Woods' book. We have woods all around us. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

netpea

Post by netpea » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:42 pm

We don't live near the sea, we are in MI. But we did look for some of the things from the book when we went camping on Lake Michigan. It's not the ocean but some things are similar. This was the summer after we had done Bigger. My kids learned a lot from the books even though we can't do the hands on part.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Fo us in most of the small square books we just read them. We didn't make a square unless we were camping near that environment. I don't want to meet the insects in small Square Arctic...

But I did drag along the small square book to the sea shore when we went (1 week before starting school) so when we did get to it in school she perked right up and remembered the ghost crab and jelly fish etc. If you can do the experiments great, if you can't no worries.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:54 pm

We didn't have a "square" of any of the areas in the books, but my kids loved the books. They weren't my favorite books, but my kids loved them and retained so much of the information from them. They keep asking for more of the one small square books. So I think that just reading them and doing the HOD activities really cement the info for the dc. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

gca123

Post by gca123 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks Ladies for you comments. :-)