Love the books!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Robin Ruth

Love the books!

Post by Robin Ruth » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:27 am

My daughter is LOVING the books in HOD. We just finished "Baby Island" and she said, "I wish there was a "Baby Island 2!" LOL!!
Robin
married for 22 years
dd 10 PHFHG /DITHOR 4/5

psreit

Re: Love the books!

Post by psreit » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

We will be starting Baby Island on Monday. Just the title tells me that dd will love the story, because she loves babies. :D
We just finished Fanny Crosby for our biography in Bigger, and that was a wonderful story. HOD has many so many good book choices. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

netpea

Post by netpea » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:32 pm

I loved Baby Island as a kid and enjoyed rereading with my kiddos in Bigger!
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:51 am

We read Baby Island this summer. Ds loved it!
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:08 pm

The books in the Beyond lists are so fun. My boys were in stitches when we read " A Bear Called Paddington" and "Mr. Popper's Penguins." I haven't got back to "Baby Island" with my youngest, but my oldest really enjoyed it.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:57 am

Just an update from my earlier post. We started Baby Island yesterday, and it was as I expected. After one chapter, my dd is yelling, "Read more! Read more!" She loves it! Even I can't wait to see what happens. :lol:
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Robin,

Hooray! We loved Baby Island too, even with our all boy crew! :D Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:56 pm

I don't even remember why, but when I was a child I hated 'Baby Island'. :roll: Reading this makes me want to go back and try again.
I have learned that most books I don't care as much for or ones that I don't think my boys would like end up being their favorites!
Most of the choices picked out have been great, so I will go find this book . . .

Mikki
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Our boys loved Baby Island too, especially my Riley. :D It was one of my very favorite books as a child, so I had an audible gasp when I read your post TrueGRIT. :lol: Of course, not every book is a big hit with every one. However, looking back, books I did not like so well as a child that are still around today that I have reread with my own dc, I have often ended up loving now. I think I read them too early, or I had learned to like books that were really just full of a lot of a fluff and silly stuff. :oops: I can so see that now. Our library was small and had the latest Scholastic hits in lieu of very many 'classics.' The Scholastic fly by the night books were the ones that were often on the edge of what was alright for Christian reading. Naturally, we were attracted to those unfortunately. :oops: I am so glad to be building a better library for our own dc via HOD's choices. :D You may just have to give Baby Island another whirl! :lol:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:38 pm

my3sons wrote:Our boys loved Baby Island too, especially my Riley. :D It was one of my very favorite books as a child, so I had an audible gasp when I read your post TrueGRIT. :lol: Of course, not every book is a big hit with every one. However, looking back, books I did not like so well as a child that are still around today that I have reread with my own dc, I have often ended up loving now. I think I read them too early, or I had learned to like books that were really just full of a lot of a fluff and silly stuff. :oops: I can so see that now. Our library was small and had the latest Scholastic hits in lieu of very many 'classics.' The Scholastic fly by the night books were the ones that were often on the edge of what was alright for Christian reading. Naturally, we were attracted to those unfortunately. :oops: I am so glad to be building a better library for our own dc via HOD's choices. :D You may just have to give Baby Island another whirl! :lol:

In Christ,
Julie
I certainly believe it is true that our tastes change and/or we see things more clearly for what is good. The biggest reason I ever read the so called fluff & stuff books was because I read so much that my mom had a hard time keeping up. However, we rarely read Scholastic books. I do remember occasionally begging my mom to get us what our PS counterparts were reading. :roll: A few times, after carefully perusing a book/series, she let us. My mom normally bought a ton of BJU Press* books from our local HomeSchool Book Fair. So, it was the in between times we filled up with mysteries from the library or reread a lot of the books HOD includes in the classics.
(*I also am happy to see some of these books included in the book sets and packs.)

Thanks for sharing about this book Robin Ruth. I plan to go reread the book as soon as possible. I'm sure we'll love it now. :)

Mikki
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)