Dictation in bigger with extentions??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Charika30

Dictation in bigger with extentions??

Post by Charika30 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:11 am

Hi,

My son is 10 and I think we are going to resume Bigger next week with extensions... I am just wondering if anyone thinks the dictation in this guide is too easy for a 10 year old? It seems pretty simplistic to me and my son just breezes through it. Just hoping that this spelling program is challenging enough for a 4th/5th grader??...Thanks! :D

pjdobro

Re: Dictation in bigger with extentions??

Post by pjdobro » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:36 pm

It sounds like since your son is breezing through those exercises, he needs to move up to a higher level dictation. Level 2 is the one in the Bigger guide. In Preparing there is level 2, 3, and 4. in CTC, levels 3, 4, and 5, etc. Probably for his grade/age, he'll need to move up to level 3 or 4 at least. I have one of my 10 yos in level 3 right now almost at the end, and I'm in the process of moving my dd up a few levels. I kept her with my ds for a while even though it was too easy for her. I finally am splitting them up, and I'm in the process of seeing where it gets challenging enough for her. So probably, your ds needs to move up a level or two in dictation. You could try a couple of passages from the middle of the exercises and if those are easy, try a few of the ones at the end. If those are still easy for him, you need to try the next level. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Charika30

Post by Charika30 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:29 pm

Thanks (again) Patty :D ... So, would I need to buy the next guide just for the dictation??

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:29 am

Charika30 wrote:Thanks (again) Patty :D ... So, would I need to buy the next guide just for the dictation??
Yes, you would need the next guide for the next levels of dictation. This is probably the only time though that you would need to go up a guide for more levels since all of the guides from Preparing upward have 3 levels of dictation. The way I look at it if I need to get another guide is that I'm already prepared for the next level, and I like being prepared. :wink: :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Charika30

Post by Charika30 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Ok, thank you!!! :D