Help our Art Projects are a FLOP....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
edsnyder

Help our Art Projects are a FLOP....

Post by edsnyder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Okay - I am in no way blaming Carrie for her projects - I am a complete art idiot - we just did the unit 2 project in bigger and it is not turning out at all -- can anyone tell me what I may have done wrong?

I followed the directions but maybe I am using the wrong xxx? I have no idea but its a bum deal when my dc is bummed because he worked hard at it and it flops -- I am probably doing something wrong I just have no idea what!

Please advise!!
Thanks!!!
Last edited by edsnyder on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elisa help meet to my husband Luke of 12 years and mother of three awesome children:
ds9 - Bigger
ds6 - Beyond - Half Speed
dd3 - Little Hands -

annaz

Re: Help Art Projects are a FLOP....

Post by annaz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:55 pm

Which ones?
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

edsnyder

Post by edsnyder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:01 pm

well most of the ones we did in Beyond last year and the unit 2 in Bigger it is the one that you use the wax paper to make an outline of a fish on the white piece of construction paper then paint water over it and then paint with green, blue, and purple then cover with crinkled plastic wrap to make it look like an under water scene...
Elisa help meet to my husband Luke of 12 years and mother of three awesome children:
ds9 - Bigger
dd3 - Little Hands -

titus2

Post by titus2 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:07 pm

My wax paper one didn't work either. The colors look cool but you can not see the fish.

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:14 pm

I laughed right out loud about your description of yourself as being an art idiot :) I feel just like that!!!!! I'm afraid to even try the projects sometimes because most of what I try is such a disaster! I have no help for you, just glad I'm not alone in feeling this way!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:30 pm

My kids just did this project a few weeks ago. My oldest's fish showed up more distinctly (I think) because he draws with a heavier hand than my little guy. You can kind of see how he pressed hard into the paper. He took artistic liberty with the instructions. My little guy's showed up until he got to the squished up plastic wrap part. The fish were white up until he went to town blotting away until they were almost gone. I think he liked that part more than the drawing and painting. He didn't seem to care either way. If it makes you feel any better, we didn't get it right perfectly either. They still enjoyed getting out the paints anyway (and you are most certianly NOT and idiot!) :)

edsnyder

Post by edsnyder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:07 pm

My DS did enjoy the painting part but was disappointed that the fish didn't show - I tried it again doing it all myself and it didn't work either but I am glad to know that I am not alone - LOL - and thanks for the visual - I need those lots of them :)

Thanks ladies for the encouragement!!! We will keep pressing on

Is there a place where pics are posted by people that I could try to look at in advance that way I have a better chance of us getting it right???

Again Thank you Ladies!!!
ds9 - Bigger
dd3 - Little Hands -

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:14 pm

We had trouble with that one too. So we drew the fish with a white crayon and did it over. That worked better.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:19 pm

I write a week in review for Bigger on my blog. We're on week 4 this week, and will post Friday. I usually post lots of pics. I would check the week in review section of the forum here to find other families doing Bigger. There are a few of us who post for Bigger weekly there. I loved seeing pics last year of what was to come for this year. The visuals definitely help me for sure :)

Tansy

Re: Help our Art Projects are a FLOP....

Post by Tansy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:02 pm

We didn't have waxed paper so we used a white crayon and I made her press really hard.
This project is still on our fridge from 3 years ago lol!

I wonder if maybe a tips and tricks section could be put in each of the programs so if the directions confuse us moms that we have some where to go.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Robin Ruth

Post by Robin Ruth » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 pm

So glad it wasn't just me! Love the white crayon idea.
Robin
married for 22 years
dd 10 PHFHG /DITHOR 4/5

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:01 pm

That project didnt work well for us, either. We are also having a hard time with the clay activities. I have never used clay before, it is very tiresome for my kids hands.
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

edsnyder

Post by edsnyder » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:19 am

We are going to need clay? ...is it the stuff she gives recipe for? Oh dear...I guess I should look ahead I usually fly by the seat of my pants and use the guide as open and go...maybe I need to change my ways.
ds9 - Bigger
dd3 - Little Hands -

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:29 am

This issue came up a couple of years ago. It was suggested that "modern" wax paper is thinner and doesn't have the amount of wax in it as older "versions," therefore, not as much wax is deposited on the paper. My mom had some wax paper that she's had for a long time. We used that, and it worked.
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!