Are Changes Needed?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
glperky

Are Changes Needed?

Post by glperky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:38 am

So, we finally started a few weeks ago on LHFHG and we are all loving it. :D I did combind my 4 yo (5 in Nov.) and my 6 yo (7 in Dec.). But now I have more questions. :roll:

My 4 yr. is doing great with all the boxes except fine motor skills and phonics. He even does a great job on telling his dad about Reddy Fox, hours after we have read it. Now I know he can come along way this year in his fine motor skill and phonics, but at this point I don't see any way what so ever he will be ready for the right side of Beyond next year. So, knowing that, should I just carry on as we are or make some changes now? If we should make some changes, what would they be?

I should add that I don't think half speed is an option. Right now going as written, doing 4-5 days a week, the boys beg for more each day when we are finished.

Thanks for any suggestions or help that you can give.
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

Charika30

Re: Are Changes Needed?

Post by Charika30 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:29 am

Hi! :)

So happy to hear Little Hearts is working so well for your boys!!! :D I am sure others may have better suggestions, but assuming you went through the placement chart for him already, the questions that arose for me were:

- How is he with the math box? I know u didn't mention that being an issue, but I am thinking if it it only the fine motor skills box and the phonics that you can continue Little Hearts as is, but perhaps incorporate/supplement a different approach for those?

-Would he be too above the right side of LHTH? I know that guide is for ages up to 5. Does he recognize his letters and can he write them at all?

-Also, Starfall.com is a wonderful, fun and interactive website to help children learn to read. Even though I did do a phonics book/program with my daughter, I am convinced starfall played a HUGE role in her learning to read as well as she does. She LOVED it and CRAVED it daily lol :lol:

-If your son does well with everything else (including the kindergarten math activities and workbook)then I think chances are he will do great with Beyond next year and then perhaps you can just do the fine motor and handwriting workbooks then in replace of the copywork, spelling words and grammar box in Beyond (if you didn't think he was ready for that)? Based on my children's skill levels in the past and their readiness, I have had to use the left side of one guide and the right side of the next guide up and it worked out well for us!

HTH some! :)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:22 am

I would also say that if those are really the only two boxes he's struggling with, then he's fine. I'd just skip the fine motor skills with him, or not stress about it any way. And then I'd just put off phonics, or again, not stress about it, until a later time. Of course we don't do phonics so that might color my perception a bit. :P

Anyway, then when you get to Beyond, assuming he hasnt' started those things yet, you could just do the FMS books and phonics. I think I'd say continue to do the grammar stuff on Day 5, but considering his age you could easily do Emerging Readers and spelling list in Bigger.

glperky

Post by glperky » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:46 am

Charika30:

Thank you for your response!

Yes, I did look at the placement chart. He fell on the line between LHTH and LHFHG. He is doing fine with the math box unless he has to write numbers. Oh, he gives a good try, most of the time, but he just does get it yet. He can trace numbers pretty well, but can't write them on his own.

He does recognize all the letters and knows the sounds they make, thanks to Leap Frog. :wink: But, again he can't write them. And we really like Starfall here too!

He is using the Rod and Staff A-I workbooks and he loves them. I think he would sit and do them all day, so I know those will help. However he enjoys them so much that he flies through them so I don't know how much he is getting out of them.

Anyway, thanks for the help! Blessings.
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

glperky

Post by glperky » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:50 am

MomtoJGJE wrote:I would also say that if those are really the only two boxes he's struggling with, then he's fine. I'd just skip the fine motor skills with him, or not stress about it any way. And then I'd just put off phonics, or again, not stress about it, until a later time. Of course we don't do phonics so that might color my perception a bit. :P

Anyway, then when you get to Beyond, assuming he hasnt' started those things yet, you could just do the FMS books and phonics. I think I'd say continue to do the grammar stuff on Day 5, but considering his age you could easily do Emerging Readers and spelling list in Bigger.
Thanks Lora Beth,

If you don't do phonics, what do you do? If you don't mind me asking,

What are FMS books? :oops: This is probably something I should know, but it's not coming to me.
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:46 am

At that age, children grow so quickly in some of these areas. Sometimes within a few weeks or a few months something clicks and they "get" it. They could grow so much during the course of a guide. I would encourage to slowly keep working at each area (phonics, fine motor skills) and see where he's at once you reach the end of Little Hearts. Then when you can see how much progress he's made while going through Little Hearts you'll have a better idea on how to approach Beyond.

Hope this helps,
Stephanie
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:06 pm

I knew both of my kids would have trouble transitioning from the K handwriting book straight to copy work, so we doubled up on the K book and have just started the first grade book for more practice. We use Getty Dubay and it provides just enough practice that I think they will do well once they reach Beyond.

For phonics, just go SLOW. My dd is almost 5 and still does 1 page a day and frequently repeats that page before moving on. Provide as much review as you need to in a variety of different formats (dry erase board, magnetic letters, bob books). It's OK if he is still finishing phonics work when you reach Beyond. Like a PP said, it's amazing how much they can mature in a matter of weeks to months. Just keep going at his pace and see where he is at the end of LHFHG.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

Charika30

Post by Charika30 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Oh you are welcome! I agree with the last two responses...He can grow soo much in the next few weeks/months, so yes I encourage you also to continue with the lessons, take it slow and have fun!! :D And yes, then you can see where he is at at the end of LHFHG...You may be surprised to see just how ready he ends up being for Beyond by then!!!... :)

Charika30

Post by Charika30 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Oh I am assuming by FMS books she meant Fine Motor Skills books??... :lol:

glperky

Post by glperky » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:36 am

bethelmommy wrote:I knew both of my kids would have trouble transitioning from the K handwriting book straight to copy work, so we doubled up on the K book and have just started the first grade book for more practice. We use Getty Dubay and it provides just enough practice that I think they will do well once they reach Beyond.
That's a great idea, thanks!
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

glperky

Post by glperky » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:38 am

Charika30 wrote:Oh I am assuming by FMS books she meant Fine Motor Skills books??... :lol:
See, I should have known that. :oops:

Thanks, once again, for the encourgement and help ladies!
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10