Question regarding Beyond scheduling with 3rd grader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
inHistiming

Question regarding Beyond scheduling with 3rd grader

Post by inHistiming » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Hello, there. It haas been a while since I've checked in here. We have completed our move to VA and are getting settled, though we do still have a few boxes and things left to put into place. However, we have begun our school year.....just last week. My oldest is using Beautiful Feet Books at his request and some other resources we chose together, so he is covered. My next two, 9 and 12, are doing various things via the iPad, and some workbook-type things until we make a decision on their year.

My question right now is this: I was planning to have my 9 yo 3rd grader use Beyond. Can I schedule him to use Beyond...independently, completing 2 days within 1? I know this is not the recommended method but wonder if it will work since he IS older? And I would think he could do most of the reading on his own rather than me reading it aloud to him? I would like to get him into the 'correct guide' sooner rather than later but don't feel good about purchasing a new guide without first using the one we have. He has had limited grammar, but I would probably add R&S 2 a couple of days a week since he is 9. Any suggestions?

BTW, we absolutely love our new home in VA!

blessedmomof4

Re: Question regarding Beyond scheduling with 3rd grader

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Personally I think he would get more out of Bigger done at regular pace than using Beyond doubled up. Have you used any of the materials yet? Did you buy directly from HOD? Maybe you can contact them and work something out, if that is the case. If not (if you bought used or have written in any of the books), perhaps you could sell what you have to help offset the cost of Bigger. Just some ideas-children get so much more out of HOD when working where they place.
Congratulations on you new home :D
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:42 pm

I did buy from them. And I have used the materials previously. I do know that he would likely get more out of it with the usual method. Trying to be responsible. :oops: I'll keep it to use with my youngers later if it doesnt work for him. Still trying to decide. Thank you for your input, Lourdes. :)

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:24 pm

I think he could likely do it as you have planned, BUT I think you'd miss reading together time. I'd try to do the history and storytime reading with him. It doesn't take long and will give you that connection. I would probably get him going on R&S 2, and do spelling/dictation at his level. If it's too much then slow down. Or, don't double up everyday. Perhaps double on days when the rotating box won't take long and you're not introducing a new math skill. On lighter days you could double up.

I use binder clips and sticky notes to keep track of where we are in the guide. This year (Bigger) I also have a laminated subject checklist. It's soooo nice. It helps ds to see what he still has to do, and, on a day like today where he had to leave for a class and didn't get science exploration done, it shows him/us where to pick up tomorrow. We use a dry erase marker to check it off, then wipe and re-use. He'll finish the s/e box first thing, then we'll flip the page and start the next day's lessons.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

mom23

Post by mom23 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:27 am

I had a 3rd grader in Beyond at one time-she did it really independently, although not double speed like you're talking about. She did very well in Beyond like that, the problem came in Bigger when we were used to the independent thing, and she (well, both of us, really :oops: ) were still wanting her to work indpendently, but Bigger did not work out well for us that way. Your plan may work out for you, as long as you're going to be okay transitioning back to the guide as written with Mom for Bigger. I really just think they need to work together that guide.

In hindsight I wish I had just placed her where she needed to be in 3rd grade (would have been Bigger at the time.) I always had this feeling that she was lagging behind where she needed to be and not challenged enough. Ended up skipping a large part of Bigger and diving into Preparing mid-year. The transformation in her was amazing, when she was working at her level for the first time in HOD she really began to thrive with it.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing