Anyone planning to stretch Beyond longer than a year?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
intotheirhearts

Anyone planning to stretch Beyond longer than a year?

Post by intotheirhearts » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Is anyone doing a 4 day a week schedule for Beyond to stretch it out longer? We have a co-op one day per week so we don't do HOD that day. And since my son is 6.5 I don't want him to be in some of the older guides too early. Just wondering if anyone else is planning to stretch it out. If I did my math and assigning correctly :? then I think we will plan to go to Unit 25, stop there, and then finish up next year then continue on with the next guide. Would this work out all right?

What are your plans to stretch it out?

Laura

mskogen

Re: Anyone planning to stretch Beyond longer than a year?

Post by mskogen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:27 am

This is exactly what I am doing. My son had been in Beyond since last October. We do it 4 days a week, (my older 2 are in programs that are 4 days, so it makes life easier) I love how it is working out. He will probably finish Beyond in October or November. Then start Bigger is January, doing it 4 days a week too. Enjoy!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:14 am

We did Beyond 4 days a week last year. It worked great. We stopped at about Unit 25, (actually it was in the middle of a unit, I don't know why. I'm blaming morning sickness!) And picked it back up this fall without skipping a beat!!! So its working great for us, altho I am getting excited to start Bigger!!! Enjoy!!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:02 am

We are going to start half speed with Beyond. MWF-MW to complete a Unit (math and reading will be daily). We will not be doing school on Tuesdays because of a bible study that will eat up 4 hours of our day, including travel to and from, and I didn't like having that extra day carrying over to the next week by itself. We'll most likely move up to full speed at some point when we hit our groove. My daughter is going to be 6 later this month and her handwriting needs a lot of practice, so I think this will help her age into the writing (she's not ready for copywork just yet). Enjoy! :D
Kristin
Mom to two girly girls (7 and 5) and boy/girl twins born May 2013
Have used LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond
Sharing our joy at http://www.broomandcrown.com

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:53 pm

I did both Beyond and Bigger on a 4 day schedule so that my youngest would be within the recommended age range for Preparing when we got to it. This worked out great for us. When we stopped to take a break we just picked back up where we stopped. And when we finished one guide we moved right into the next even if it wasn't the beginning of the "school year".

Stephanie
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography