Phonics question 1st grade

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
renee

Phonics question 1st grade

Post by renee » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:12 am

Another question! He has completed Abeka Phonics K. He is reading level 2 readers no problem. There are phonics rules that need to still be covered, though. Would The Reading Lesson be a good choice for where he is at. I am looking for more input. I am still on the fence. I do not want to skip phonics instruction. I am just trying to figure out if switching phonics programs would be a good choice. I know nothing about teaching phonics. Abeka is very scripted, and gives me that safety net. He hates all the worksheets, and I feel the lessons are soooo repetitive. This is what has taught him to read so well, though. Any more ladies have any advice for me?

Thank you,

momofabcd

Re: Phonics question 1st grade

Post by momofabcd » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:44 pm

My suggestion would be to use the Handbook for Reading with the phonics 1 worksheets. Use HOD's suggestions for other Language Arts. He could also read the emerging readers set alongside the Abeka readers. We did this for 1st grade last year with excellent results.
Deena
Mom of A Graduated 2017, B 12th, C 8th MTMM in 2018/2019, D 6th Res to Ref 2018/2019, E 3

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:40 am

I didn't use any of phonics programs with HOD since I found it after my dc were already reading. I did use some of the Abeka readers early on, but didn't do the whole phonics program. What I did when we started HOD was as we did the spelling lists, I reviewed the phonics rule that most of the words followed. Each week in Beyond and Bigger there are 10 words and most of the words (I think 8 out of 10) follow a similar phonics rule. Then there are 2 exception words. This was a great opportunity to make sure we had all of our bases covered. I also used Phonics Pathways as a way of review too. I don't necessarily recommend the way that I did it because I felt we could have used a more structured program, but I thought if you feel he is already pretty secure with his phonics then review through the spellings lists and using the emerging readers might be all he needs. :D
Last edited by pjdobro on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

renee

Post by renee » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:54 am

Thank you for all of your helpful advice! It's good to hear how others do it.

Renee