Timeline??? For those who have done Bigger and Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
joyfulhomeschooler

Timeline??? For those who have done Bigger and Preparing

Post by joyfulhomeschooler » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:15 am

Would this type of timeline work for HOD? We will be doing Bigger and then Preparing. I was thinking of just doing one line up our stairway wall for bigger and then starting another line when we start preparing. Or would it be better to just do it the way it is in the picture and adding to it each year?
Link removed by board moderator per board rules.
DS 11 CTC
DD 9 CTC
DS 4 Before Five in a Row
DS 2 Before Five in a Row (tag along)

momtofive

Re: Timeline??? For those who have done Bigger and Preparing

Post by momtofive » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 pm

For Bigger Hearts the guide suggests making a chart type timeline grid. Your child just places entries in their correct column, label them, and draw a picture to go with it. Here's what the Bigger Hearts Introduction from HOD's website says about the timeline:
Timeline Entry
To understand the flow of history, students keep a basic timeline of the
major events studied throughout the year. A file folder or two sheets of
white paper taped together are needed for the timeline. This method helps
students get an overall feel for how events fit together. A more formal
timeline book will be used when students get older

**We ended up making a file folder with a cover page on the front side, four columns on each side (of the inside of the folder) and three columns on the back of the folder. The columns are labeled: 1450, 1500, 1550, 1600, 1650, 1700, 1750, 1800, 1850, 1900, and 1950. Each column needs at least 12 rows.

In Preparing Hearts Introduction up on the HOD website it says:
Timeline Entry
To understand the flow of history, students keep a basic timeline of the
major events studied throughout the year. Students will need 32 small index
cards cut in half for their timeline. They will be making a staircase timeline,
like the one shown on p. xvii of A Child’s History of the World. Each row of
cards will represent approximately one thousand years of history. Cards may
either be taped to the back of a door or be taped side-by-side and
accordion-folded to be stored. Plan for 4 rows of cards. The longest row will
have 18 cards. Rows will need to be angled to fit properly on a door.

We ended up doing the accordion folded option for my son when he did Preparing and it was a lot of fun! He ended up with a VERY long timeline, which was a lot of fun to stretch out and see how long it was getting through the year! :wink: (We would just fold it up and store it in his pencil box when not in use.)

Just wanted to share what the guides introductions recommend for timelines, in case you hadn't seen them yet. These are probably the easiest to implement and make really wonderful ways for children to see the flow of history. The timeline you linked is really cool, too! You'll know best what will work better for you and your family! :wink:

Blessings! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:38 pm

I just posted about our timeline on my blog. I made timeline figures that correlate with the timeline activities on day 5. We purchased a timeline that was already made. We will still do the timeline activity, but I like being able to see the figures all together at the same time.
Last edited by waterandclay on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:50 pm

That is really neat! We are doing the staircase timeline in Preparing this year...and last year, in Bigger, we did the folder with divisions by year.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:06 pm

I love those whole walls with the figures on them. :) Those are fantastic and I would love to have something like that. We just didn't have the space to that, and to be honest, I didn't think of it. :oops: We just did what was in the guides with the folder timeline in Bigger and then the accordion one in Preparing. I think my dc really got the flow of history using both of these methods. I'm planning on leaving out their timelines from Preparing so they can refer back to them as we go through the various times over the next few years. I think having the dc draw their own picture and label it each week really helps cement the time into their minds. It might be nice to put up the people studied in Bigger and see them in the bigger picture of time, but I don't think at that point it is that critical. It will probably take a number of years before they are able to see the whole flow of history and where the American story fits it. If you have the space to do one of those nice big ones on a wall, that will be a constant reminder as you continue to fill it in over the years, and I'm sure they'll remember it well. So if you have the room, I say go for it! I would still do the activity as suggested in both Bigger and Preparing though because I think having them draw and write it themselves is helpful. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

joyfulhomeschooler

Post by joyfulhomeschooler » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks for the responses! I think we will go for it, and do the scetches by the kids for the figures.
DS 11 CTC
DD 9 CTC
DS 4 Before Five in a Row
DS 2 Before Five in a Row (tag along)

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:35 am

pjdobro wrote:I love those whole walls with the figures on them. :) Those are fantastic and I would love to have something like that. We just didn't have the space to that, and to be honest, I didn't think of it. :oops: We just did what was in the guides with the folder timeline in Bigger and then the accordion one in Preparing. I think my dc really got the flow of history using both of these methods. I'm planning on leaving out their timelines from Preparing so they can refer back to them as we go through the various times over the next few years. I think having the dc draw their own picture and label it each week really helps cement the time into their minds. It might be nice to put up the people studied in Bigger and see them in the bigger picture of time, but I don't think at that point it is that critical. It will probably take a number of years before they are able to see the whole flow of history and where the American story fits it. If you have the space to do one of those nice big ones on a wall, that will be a constant reminder as you continue to fill it in over the years, and I'm sure they'll remember it well. So if you have the room, I say go for it! I would still do the activity as suggested in both Bigger and Preparing though because I think having them draw and write it themselves is helpful. :D
I totally agree that having them draw and write it themselves is helpful. My boys loved this! I was surprised that they loved it as much as they did. They said they wished they could do more than one or two a week :)

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:17 pm

We did the time line as written in the book on the back of the kids room door. They love it and won't let me take it down.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫