This "homeschooled kids" just don't know : )

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
glperky

Re: This "homeschooled kids" just don't know : )

Post by glperky » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:54 am

A lot of times, believe it or not, younger children don't know their mom and dad's first names. If aksed they will say their names are "mom and dad.". This is very important to teach young ones in case they ever get lost.
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

mommadonna

Post by mommadonna » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:18 pm

We had a fire drill recently at our homeschool fellowship. Many of the kiddos did not know how to line up and go out of the building in a orderly fashion. We all got out just not in nice straight lines. :D My ds struggles with raising his hand, he just blurts out answers!
Donna
ds7 Beyond
dd4 listening in, consuming workbooks, TRL and some of LHFHG
ds2 making us all laugh and eating erasers

glperky

Post by glperky » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:24 pm

aprilmd wrote:I always remember when my girls were young what one of their Sunday School teachers said to me. She said your girls love to answer questions and they are not shy, but it would be nice if they would raise their hands. I never thought of teaching this to them. :oops: My children just expected to try and answer the question when it was asked. I went home and the next day taught them to raise their hand and not just give the answers. LOL
That's funny because I taught a Sunday School class this last Sunday and an 8 yo HS girl kept raising her hand everytime I asked a question and I wondered why! And now that I stop to think about it, the girl that goes to PS, never raised her hand and just blurted out the answer. That's just funny to me, not sure why.
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:09 am

aprilmd wrote:I always remember when my girls were young what one of their Sunday School teachers said to me. She said your girls love to answer questions and they are not shy, but it would be nice if they would raise their hands. I never thought of teaching this to them. :oops: My children just expected to try and answer the question when it was asked. I went home and the next day taught them to raise their hand and not just give the answers. LOL
My girls learned this because we often have a "quiet lunch" time if they are being silly instead of eating. I told my middle daughter to raise her hand if she needed to ask me something. I guess it's my teacher background :) I did have to train my oldest when she came home that she didn't have to raise her hand to answer my questions. That was funny. It would be just the two of us and when I asked her a question she would raise her hand and wait for me to call on her!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 am

Our pediatrician was explaining to my daughter at her well check that only her doctor or parent should look at her bottom! I was horrified that i hadn't thought of this!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

gratitude

Post by gratitude » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:19 am

My funny story in this area is when my pediatrician asked my oldest his last name at his 5 year old check and he didn't know it! My current 5 year old does, but my oldest was always with me and it had never even dawned on me the need to tell him. :lol:

my4sugars

Post by my4sugars » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:08 pm

Two things I've noticed that homeschool kids don't know are lining up in a straight line and holding hands in a group to make a circle.

I was teaching a class of 8th graders in a co-op last fall, and I asked them all to make a circle by joining hands and stretching out. They all looked at me like I was crazy. :shock: It took me a few minutes to realize these teenagers had all been homeschooled from K, and didn't have any idea what I was asking. :lol:

Same thing happens when you ask a group of young homeschool children to line up and walk. Very funny. :D
Kimi~
Mama to the 4
greatest kids
this side of heaven!
Jesse, Shannon, Mary, & Seth

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:00 am

This thread makes me laugh! I was teaching a homeschool co-op class to a group of 7 yo's who had never been to school. When asked to make a straight line in order to play a game, one little guy who is also an only child, looked at me and asked, "What's a line?". Some of my older children went to school until the Lord called us to homeschool, and they are very good at making sure that our youngest two (who have never been to school) know all the things that I forget about since they are with me all the time :lol:
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

glperky

Post by glperky » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:01 am

I just realized one. My 9th grader didn't know that he is a freshman this year. :D
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

striving2Bprov31

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:03 pm

....and I have to say that I think its great that they don't have an understanding of some of these things! Because....things like 'freshman' year and getting in line for everything are not God's design, but mans! :-)

too funny!

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:09 am

This thread is really funny. I agree with the post about homeschooled kids not standing in lines. We had a field trip to the art museum last year. All the school kids were in straight lines and quiet. The homeschool kids and their parents, little brothers and sisters, and sometimes grandmas and grandpas, were en masse, milling around in front of the building and generally blocking the neat lines that were trying to get past. And there were about 5 kids climbing trees (probably ages 7-9) in front of the entrance, no lie! I was pretty embarrassed, and the museum docents were not pleased (and were overheard saying "what's going on? There are more parents than kids here!")
Kristin
Mom to two girly girls (7 and 5) and boy/girl twins born May 2013
Have used LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond
Sharing our joy at http://www.broomandcrown.com

homefire

Post by homefire » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:38 am

I also find it most noticeable at field trips. As homeschoolers tend to be out of the box thinkers, naturally our children will be too. I often hear museam guides and guest speakers amazed at the volume and depth of questions from our group. I did make an effort a few years ago to teach my dc our address, dh's number and grandma's. I do find it annoying when friends or family "test" my kids with questions like address, b-day, ect. Why not ask them the scientific method or what the cloud formations mean? Oh well, I guess it keeps me humble :D
Daughter of the King, wife to my firefighting hubby, and Mom to my three blessings.
LM: 7yo dd Beyond for 2nd grade, AIG Answers for Kids, piano
CL: 6yo ds LHFHG, AIG for Kids, starting piano this year!
AM: 4yo dd LHTH and some LHFHG

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:51 am

glperky wrote:A lot of times, believe it or not, younger children don't know their mom and dad's first names. If aksed they will say their names are "mom and dad.". This is very important to teach young ones in case they ever get lost.
Ok, this one surprised me. All 3 of my kids started trying to call us by our first names when they were about 2. We had to teach them that wasn't appropriate. Now the last name was harder.... :D
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

glperky

Post by glperky » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:16 am

netpea wrote:
glperky wrote:A lot of times, believe it or not, younger children don't know their mom and dad's first names. If aksed they will say their names are "mom and dad.". This is very important to teach young ones in case they ever get lost.
Ok, this one surprised me. All 3 of my kids started trying to call us by our first names when they were about 2. We had to teach them that wasn't appropriate. Now the last name was harder.... :D

A long time ago I owned a large day care for 14 year. :shock: You wouldn't believe how many children didn't know their parents first names. I would almost venture to say that more didn't then did.
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

glperky

Post by glperky » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:06 pm

Just had to laugh and share. My 15 yo DS went to private school from K-3rd, I started HSing him in 4th grade!

For two weeks now he has had to prepare lesson plans and teach two things to my 6yo and 4yo twice a week. Well, today he was "teaching" them and asked a question and my 4 yo blurted out the answer and my 15 yo said, "Excuse me, you need to raise your hand and I will call on you." The 4yo raised his hand but hand a very puzzled look on his face. :lol: I heard this many more times during the lesson! :lol:
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10