From MUS to Singapore?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Yaya68

From MUS to Singapore?

Post by Yaya68 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:32 pm

Hello,

We have been using Math U See. My boys are doing Primer-6yo and Alpha-8yo. I am considering switching to Singapore, but I'd like to know if anyone has done that... liked/disliked...pros/cons. :wink:

Thank you,
Sonya

wife to a great man for almost 25 blessed years!!
ds- Bible College
ds- Jr.college & work force
ds 10th
ds 4th
ds 3rd

Yaya68

Re: From MUS to Singapore?

Post by Yaya68 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm bumping, but just wanted to add...

I plan on letting them finish MUS, so that we complete the books. I would love to hear from anyone that has gone from MUS to Singapore. Any grade level would be fine but particularly the lower grades.

Thx!
Sonya

ds- Bible College
ds 10th
ds 4th
ds 3rd

julieabird

Post by julieabird » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:47 pm

I started with MUS and switched them when we started HOD last year. My son 7 had done the Primer and most of Alpha. My daughter 5 had finished the Primer only. I like Singapore a lot. The kids do as well. The math activities listed in the HOD manuals really help prepare the kids for the written workbook pages. I think the MUS really lays a thick foundation to build on and I like that, but I don't know that we need that. I like the idea of MUS but Singapore is easier for us and it is working for us so far. We still use the manipulatives with Singapore if I need to 'show' them how to work the problems. I also feel that we are getting more concepts covered with Singapore. Alpha mainly covers addition, Beta subtraction, Gamma multiplication, etc. And there seems to be a little of this, little of that with Singapore. The funny thing is that I keep holding onto the MUS and keep thinking I might switch back one day!
Julie R

ds 7 BLHFHG
dd 5 LHFHG

agstefko

Post by agstefko » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:44 pm

I switched my ds from MUS to Singapore after almost finishing their old program foundations which is pretty much the same as Alpha and Beta. He loved the switch because there was more variety of topics in Singapore. Each week in MUS we would learn a different addition fact and sometimes add in a little extra, but he was kind bored with it so we tried Singapore and he really loved the switch
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

Yaya68

Post by Yaya68 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Thank you ladies. I will have dc finish their MUS books and then perhaps switch over to Singapore for a trial. :)
Sonya

ds- Bible College
ds 10th
ds 4th
ds 3rd

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:39 pm

To be sure where to start them when you switch, you can give them the placement test from the Singapore website when you are done with the Math-U-See. :)
http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Yaya68

Post by Yaya68 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:25 am

Thanks Blessedmomof4. Good idea. :wink:
Sonya

ds- Bible College
ds 10th
ds 4th
ds 3rd