Bigger - In what order do YOU do the boxes?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
waterandclay

Bigger - In what order do YOU do the boxes?

Post by waterandclay » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm starting Bigger tomorrow, and am second guessing the order of my day. For those of you who have, or who are doing Bigger, what order works best for you? I have 2 boys, ages 7 and 10 if that makes a difference. This is my first year with both of them home. Last year was so fun and relaxed with just one at home. I'm hoping to juggle well :)

psreit

Re: Bigger - In what order do YOU do the boxes?

Post by psreit » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:25 am

I usually do the History reading first and then the Bible, because they tie together. I don't always do the othe boxes in the same order, but I want to try to do math early, just because that is a difficult and frustrating subject for my dd. You can basically do the boxes in any order. We've started Bigger half-speed. It looks like another great year of HOD. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:22 am

If I didn't have any other kids I was teaching I would do Bible and history first. Since I do have two youngers who both need me very involved I have my daughter do the unconnected stuff first: math, cursive, grammar, etc. and then do the history and Bible when it's just her and I.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:36 am

We do Bible first. Then, we do history and poetry on the couch. At the kitchen table, we then do math, language arts, and then science. (My daughter who is doing LHFHG is sprinkled between some of these subjects.) After lunch, we do storytime and DITHOR, and finish off with the rotating box.
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:43 am

Thank you! We did things in this order:

Cursive
Spelling/Dictation
Math
Grammar
Poetry
History Reading
Bible Study
Rotating Box
HOD Science
Extension Reading for oldest
Storytime
Hymns
(Additional Science - Elemental)
Dithor
Spanish

It went so well! I was so worried about it taking too long, but we were done in 3 1/2 hours even with the added science and language. We will be doing more math starting next week, so that will extend the day a bit, but still. We had such a great first day :) Thank you for your input!

Larissa

Post by Larissa » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:25 pm

I am not sure that we ever do it in the same order twice.

I have to arrange things around 3 children in different guides. So, I start the day having my son in Bigger and my son in CTC doing as much as they can independently while I worker with my K'er. Once I get through everything with my K'er. I usually work with my son that is doing Bigger. Sometimes, though, I have to work with my older son. I've tried to make a detailed schedule with times ... but it's just never worked for us. So, I give them freedom to choose what they want to do when they need to work on their own. At some point, I call them to the couch to work with me. We always get everything done each day, though.
Larissa
Wife to Rich (14 years)
Mommy to Martin(9)(Preparing), Aaron(7)(Beyond), Jonathan(5), and Rosalie(3)

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:13 pm

We start with prayer, then do history and Bible because it gets him interested in the day. Then reading, spelling, grammar, cursive. Back to some fun stuff, rotating box, hymn, science. Finish with math, because he loves it and will do it anytime. We usually put everything away, do any quick chores, grab a snack and snuggle on the couch for storytime.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:56 am

We did:

Bible time
LA
Math
History reading
Poetry
Handwriting
Music
Story time
Activity box
Science
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Megan

Post by Megan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:25 am

Charlotte Mason suggested to challenge different parts of the brain by switching from (for example) math to reading history to some form of writing, etc...this both gives the brain a rest so they aren't getting worn out and keeps them challenged.
We do the more difficult subjects early in the day (like math). We also use work boxes to organize our day and help them to begin to become more independent, and we change things up a little each day, depending on wether history for that day requires writing, or just reading. I basically just sit and fill the workboxes while looking at the guide, then put them in the order that makes the most sense for that day. I know that doesn't work for everyone, and some like to know what is coming next each day...and we did that for a while, but the kids weren't liking it and they wanted more variety so we started doing it this way. :)

Here is an example of what our day might look like...

Bible
Math
History
Hymn study
Spelling
Poetry
Rotating Box
Independent Reading for E/ Phonics for A
Science
Grammar

HTH!
Megan

Let all that I am praise the LORD; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name. Psalm 103:1