Home Economics

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
christyg

Home Economics

Post by christyg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:58 pm

A while back I started thread on what Day 5 looks like for all of you, since we were starting Preparing with my daughter (9 in Sept) and I wasn't sure what to do with that day. I am not good with too many choices, which is why I LOVE HOD, because Carrie makes most of those for me. :wink: Well, we have been doing school now for 4 weeks. It is going GREAT :D !!! But, I am still tweaking that 5th day! :? I have gone back and forth on it. I either think I have too much planned for her, or not enough. So, I have been back thru everything this week and think I have figured out what works. I don't want our time to go more than a couple of hours on Fridays. We are doing typing, math facts, reading comprehension practice (this was her only low score on her standardized test), piano, a possible science dvd......and maybe home ec.

Anyway, to my question. I ordered Lessons in Responsibility for Girls Level One by Pearables. It looked too easy for her, but the reviews all said to start at level one. Well, after doing it for a few weeks, I just don't know. Besides the reading level being really young, a lot of the recipes are just not things that we would follow exactly (which is what I have found to be true with most cookbooks for kids).

I really feel like tossing this book and just doing these things on my own. Do any of you follow a curriculum for this or do most of you just teach this in everyday life?

Thanks!
Christy :)

annaz

Re: Home Economics

Post by annaz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:58 am

christyg wrote:A while back I started thread on what Day 5 looks like for all of you, since we were starting Preparing with my daughter (9 in Sept) and I wasn't sure what to do with that day. I am not good with too many choices, which is why I LOVE HOD, because Carrie makes most of those for me. :wink: Well, we have been doing school now for 4 weeks. It is going GREAT :D !!! But, I am still tweaking that 5th day! :? I have gone back and forth on it. I either think I have too much planned for her, or not enough. So, I have been back thru everything this week and think I have figured out what works. I don't want our time to go more than a couple of hours on Fridays. We are doing typing, math facts, reading comprehension practice (this was her only low score on her standardized test), piano, a possible science dvd......and maybe home ec.

Anyway, to my question. I ordered Lessons in Responsibility for Girls Level One by Pearables. It looked too easy for her, but the reviews all said to start at level one. Well, after doing it for a few weeks, I just don't know. Besides the reading level being really young, a lot of the recipes are just not things that we would follow exactly (which is what I have found to be true with most cookbooks for kids).

I really feel like tossing this book and just doing these things on my own. Do any of you follow a curriculum for this or do most of you just teach this in everyday life?

Thanks!
Christy :)
I have that book as well, although it's in my give-away box due to the age. I even have the next one. I found by the time dd could really "do" those things, she was past the reading level and it looked "babyish" to use her words.

I suppose it's helpful to have a curric if it's an area you aren't good at...a how to sort of thing. This year we opted for logic games and puzzles since dd lacks in logic. :wink: , but I would probably do my own. I'd start with doing one thing for two weeks in a row or at least the same thing all month. So Fridays, just have her do "cookies" or baking. The next month (if you still want cooking), have her create a meal plan and give her the research. The next month, teach teach her dinner. She'll pick it up just learning that way. Then if you're done with cooking move on to another topic next month. For one month of Fridays do stitching....etc.

But I'm not an everyday life thing. I unfortunately use the "fly-by-the seat of my pants" method because I have a small family I guess. So I understand that you'd want something. I also know it wouldn't get done unless I had a plan and used the everyday life method, because I'm one to want to just get it done. But hopefully this would help. Kids learn alot just by baking a lot first. One Friday is cookies, the next cupcakes, the next brownies, etc. Then you'll need to go on a diet ;) so after a month, do dinner or breakfast or even laundry. HTH
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Honestly, the Heart of Dakota guides feature several edible history projects, so I don't add any other cooking curricula...and I just have my girls help in the kitchen a lot anyhow, expecially with me being 7 months pregnant-they prepare their own breakfast and lunch, and sometimes help with dinner. The HOD projects give them practice following recipes on their own. Our day 5 is just a "follow-your-interest" day-the girls read, or play music, or go to the library, nothing scheduled, just whatever may come up that day. Sometimes it is a catch-up day if the week's work has gotten away from us a bit.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:12 am

How about making Friday night her dinner night. She has to plan, prepare, and serve dinner. You may want to go through your recipe books and copy things that she would be able to do. She could have her own little recipe box or binder. Then she chooses what she wants to serve that night. It could be as simple as pb & j's, grilled cheese, or spaghetti. It think "real life" experiences are more valuable anyway. As she improves, she could tackle trickier things.
Just a suggestion,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:14 am

lmercon wrote:How about making Friday night her dinner night. She has to plan, prepare, and serve dinner. You may want to go through your recipe books and copy things that she would be able to do. She could have her own little recipe box or binder. Then she chooses what she wants to serve that night. It could be as simple as pb & j's, grilled cheese, or spaghetti. It think "real life" experiences are more valuable anyway. As she improves, she could tackle trickier things.
Just a suggestion,
Laura
I think this is a great idea! You might really like not having structured "school time" on your 5th day. We take one day off per week, and it's very helpful to be able to do extra things for fun, do an organizing project, etc. :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."